American Cheese Society
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The American Cheese Society (ACS) is a non-profit trade group for the American cheese industry that was founded in 1983.
ACS promotes American cheeses, provides the industry with educational resources and networking opportunities and encourages high standards of Cheesemaking with safety and sustainability. ACS issues awards for cheeses and cultured dairy products in its annual Judging & Competition. Since 1983, cheesemakers, retailers, distributors, importers/exporters, dairy farmers, academics, enthusiasts, specialty food producers, and others have attended the association's Annual Conference.
ACS was founded by Frank Kosikowski, a professor at Cornell University. Kosikowski authored several books on cheese, including Cheese and Fermented Milk Food. During the 1980s, most of the ACS staff was volunteer. By the 1990s, ACS had grown along with the American cheese industry.
ACS has an alliance nonprofit organization called "the American Cheese Education Foundation (ACEF)". ACEF is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
Events and education
ACS holds an annual conference and competition in the United States.
ACS also developed and administers the ACS Certified Cheese Professional Exam (ACS CCP Exam) and the ACS T.A.S.T.E. Test, which one must pass to receive the ACS Certified Cheese Sensory Evaluator credential. An online directory of individuals with the ACS CCP designation is available for reference by organizations and individuals seeking employees.
ACS organizes the American Cheese Month every October. The month-long event promotes the American cheese industry and increased funding for the American Cheese Education Foundation. American Cheese Month encourages cheesemakers to host special events, such as tours at their farms. People from across the country are encouraged to join by promoting cheese-related events, including gatherings of cheesemakers, retailers, cheesemongers, and chefs.
- "Mission & Values | American Cheese Society".
- O'Reilly, David (July 17, 1985). "American cheese: More than just bland spread". The Evening Independent. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "History & Archives | American Cheese Society".
- "Cheese and Fermented Milk Foods". New England Cheesemaking Supply Company.
- "History". ACS website. American Cheese Society. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "Membership". ACS website. ACS membership. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "American Cheese Education Foundation". ACE Foundation website. American Cheese Education Foundation. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Christy&Heinen (September 26, 2012). "New professional exam from American Cheese Society is serious stuff". Madison-Magazine.
- "The American Cheese Society Announces 2018 Industry Certification Results" (Press release) – via PRWeb.
- "ACS CCP Directory". ACS website.
- "American Cheese Month". ACS website.