|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2012)|
American Chillers and Michigan Chillers are a series of horror novels for children written by author Johnathan Rand. The series started in February 2000 as a Michigan-only series and expanded to a national focus in December 2001 with Michigan Mega-Monsters. According to the author, the American Chillers book series will continue through all fifty states.
List of American Chillers books
- #1 Michigan Mega-Monsters (2001): Three kids are at a summer camp full of monsters and must help a mad scientist to fight them.
- #2 Ogres of Ohio (2002): A brother and a sister find magical artifacts and must keep them safe from ogres who will use them to destroy the world.
- #3 Florida Fog Phantoms (2002): Three children must escape a cloud of fog, and the phantoms within it, or they will become trapped in it forever.
- #4 New York Ninjas (2002): A magical mask must be protected by three friends, or else the world will be destroyed by a group of ghost ninjas.
- #5 Terrible Tractors of Texas (2002): Farm equipment comes to life and attempts to destroy a boy and his cousin on a farm.
- #6 Invisible Iguanas of Illinois (2002): A girl offers to watch her friend's iguanas, but these iguanas are huge, and invisible.
- #7 Werewolves of Wisconsin (2002): A group of friends discover werewolves are real with the help of a librarian.
- #8 Minnesota Mall Mannequins (2003): Aliens take control of mannequins to take over the world, and they have already taken over the Mall of America, trapping two friends inside.
- #9 Iron Insects Invade Indiana (2003): An angry toy maker wants revenge on a rival by framing him for the destruction of Indiana by an army of robotic locusts.
- #10 Missouri Madhouse (2003): Three kids who step into a supposedly haunted house late at night may never come out thanks to a boy who died years and years ago.
- #11 Poisonous Pythons Paralyze Pennsylvania (2003): Three teens must survive one night in the wilderness with the world's deadliest snake on the loose.
- #12 Dangerous Dolls of Delaware (2003): The doll that belonged to a ghostly child may help her dead spirit have revenge on an innocent young girl.
- #13 Virtual Vampires of Vermont (2004): Unless two young video game addicts can stop them, an army of vampires from a video game could escape into reality.
- #14 Creepy Condors of California (2004): When a condor attacks two kids in the Californian woods, they have no idea what they are in for.
- #15 Nebraska Nightcrawlers (2004): Three friends meet a man who is attempting to make corn grow faster and get bigger. The problem is nightcrawlers have eaten it and grow as long as buses, posing a threat to human lives.
- #16 Alien Androids Assault Arizona (2005): Aliens disguised as normal people are going to conquer the Earth if two friends do not get in the way.
- #17 South Carolina Sea Creatures (2005): A boy places a toy similar to Sea Monkeys in water mixed with fertilizer. The toy grows to be a very large, very aggressive, semi aquatic monster.
- #18 Washington Wax Museum (2006): A group of robbers will take thousands of dollars in artwork if three kids on a field trip do not stop them in time. (Note that although the events in the previous book were never mentioned, the main character was a side character in South Carolina Sea Creatures.)
- #19 North Dakota Night Dragons (2006): A group of friends have to stop dragons from conquering a fantasy world, as well as ours.
- #20 Mutant Mammoths of Montana (2007): A brother and sister on a camping trip in the Montana wilderness soon discover a herd of aggressive subterranean mammoths that evolved after the ice age.
- #21 Terrifying Toys of Tennessee (November 15, 2007): Three friends must help a toy maker whose experimentation with a new type of battery turned his toys into monsters.
- #22 Nuclear Jellyfish of New Jersey (2007): After a kid sees a UFO over a resort, giant, mutant, laser-shooting jellyfish destroy a water park. (Note that although the events in the last book are never mentioned, the main character was a character in Terrifying Toys of Tennessee.
- #23 Wicked Velociraptors of West Virginia (February 28, 2008): After accidentally breaking a scientist's window, two friends offer to repay him by cleaning his lab windows. They find themselves going back in time after he completes a time travel invention experiment. The experiment works, but brings back three unwanted guests.
- #24 Haunting in New Hampshire (May 1, 2008): After moving into a new house, a girl is plagued by visions that only she can see, and who can also see her.
- #25 Mississippi Megalodon (December 28, 2008): Three friends go boating on a freshwater lake, but this particular lake is the hunting ground of a 60 ft long prehistoric shark.
- #26 Oklahoma Outbreak (January 28, 2009): A school becomes the scene of an outbreak of cooties, vicious insects whose bite turns people into zombies, and there is no cure.
- #27 Kentucky Komodo Dragons (May 28, 2009): While hiking, two siblings discover that Komodo dragons are loose in the forest, and they are extremely vicious.
- #28 Curse of the Connecticut Coyotes (August 24, 2010): A silly curse from an old witch becomes reality.
- #29 Oregon Oceanauts (2010): Two friends who are training to become divers are called to rescue a chemical barrel from a sunken submarine, but they discover that the chemical makes marine life far more aggressive than usual.
- #30 Vicious Vacuums of Virginia (2010): Robotic vacuum cleaners come to life.
- #31 The Nevada Nightmare Novel (November 8, 2011): A novel comes to life.
- #32 Idaho Ice Beast (December 15, 2011): Two friends wander away from a ski resort to search for a mythical bigfoot creature, but when the creature starts hunting them, things get out of control.
- #33 Monster Mosquitoes of Maine (February 15, 2012): Mosquitoes grow to enormous sizes and attack Maine.
- #34 Savage Dinosaurs of South Dakota (May 15, 2012): Two friends who are both dinosaur lovers get a chance to visit a new dinosaur theme-park, complete with mechanical lifelike dinosaurs. The problem is, the dinosaurs are acting a little too lifelike.
- #35 Maniac Martians Marooned in Massachusetts (September 1 2012): When a ship containing a race of violent aliens crash-lands on Earth, three friends find themselves fighting for their lives.
- #36 Carnivorous Crickets of Colorado (October 27 2012): Two brothers' experiments on crickets mean big trouble for three friends who stumbled across their cricket farm.
- #37 The Underground Undead of Utah (April, 2013): Three fossil-hunters stumble on a frightening secret.
- #38 The Wicked Waterpark of Wyoming (December 15, 2013): A sinister world lies beneath the new waterpark, spelling danger for its patrons
- #39 Angry Army Ants Ambush Alabama (March 15, 2014): The swamp hides an insect threat.
- #40 Incredible Ivy of Iowa (2014): A farmer's experiments with super plant food create scary ivy.
List of Michigan Chillers books
- #1 Mayhem on Mackinac Island (2000): A brother and sister on vacation on Mackinac Island discover a fantasy world, and must defeat an evil sorcerer in order to escape.
- #2 Terror Stalks Traverse City (2000): A kid with a magic kit summons a monster from a drawing that could destroy the city.
- #3 Poltergeists of Petoskey (2000): Two kids must find a way to get a poltergeist out of their home, before they themselves become poltergeists.
- #4 Aliens Attack Alpena (2000): Two friends must fight a hostile race of aliens that could destroy the planet.
- #5 Gargoyles of Gaylord (2000): After gargoyles escape their dark underground world, two kids and their neighbor must find them and put them back.
- #6 Strange Spirits of St. Ignace (2000): When three siblings become lost in the forest they are camping in, they discover spirits from another realm.
- #7 Kreepy Klowns of Kalamazoo (2000): Two children go to the carnival but discover that the clowns are secretly robots intent on world domination.
- #8 Dinosaurs Destroy Detroit (2001): A time window opens, which allows a kid to get a dinosaur egg from the past. Only a pack of Tyrannosaurus Rex follow him through the time gate and will not rest until the egg is found, no matter how many people are killed.
- #9 Sinister Spiders of Saginaw (2001): A girl who has an intense fear of spiders realizes that Saginaw is about to be invaded by giant man-eating spiders. Now she, along with her friend, needs to defeat them, but this is more complicated than she thinks.
- #10 Mackinaw City Mummies (2001): A boy has to brave a hidden world full of horrifying creatures to save his best friend from being mummified.
- #11Great Lakes Ghost Ship (2005): Three kids must escape a ghost ship, or stay on forever with zombies.
- #12 Au Sable Alligators (2005): For some bizarre reason, there seem to be alligators in a river in Michigan, and two kids must find out why before someone gets hurt.
- #13 Gruesome Ghouls of Grand Rapids (2007): After some ghouls escape their prison within the Earth, a group of kids must put them back.
- #14 Bionic Bats of Bay City (2008): Mutant bats are unleashed upon Bay City.
- #15 Calumet Copper Creatures (2011): Siblings find giant copper creatures lurking in an abandoned mine.
- #16 Catastrophe in Caseville (July 2013): A giant cheeseburger threatens to destroy the town of Caseville, Michigan, and wreck the annual cheeseburger festival.
The American Chillers and the Michigan Chillers series both got new covers to commemorate the series' anniversary in 2005. These covers feature a combination gloss/Elkote cover, providing a unique contrast. The new covers are by Dwayne Harris of Kalispel, Montana.