|Headquarters||211 West Chicago Avenue, Suite 217, Hinsdale, IL 60521|
The American Nutrition Association (ANA) is a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization established to encourage the scientific investigation of nutrition and metabolism. The ANA publishes the Journal of the American Nutrition Association and hosts scientific conferences in the US and in Europe.
Previously known as the American College of Nutrition, in 2019 together with the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists, the Center for Nutrition Advocacy, and the American Nutrition Association Foundation, affiliated together as the American Nutrition Association. The four organizations remain legally independent entities but share a single website together.
The American College of Nutrition was founded in 1959 with the stated purpose of enhancing nutrition and metabolism knowledge among physicians and professionals from all disciplines with a common interest in nutrition, and to promote the application of such knowledge to the maintenance of health and treatment of disease.
The ANA is governed by a member-elected Board of Directors and the current CEO of ANA is Michael Stroka. The organization also has several advisory components which include a Scientific Advisory Board, Strategic Advisory Board, Ketogenic Nutrition Training Program Development Team, and a Nutritional Genomics Advisory Panel.
The European chapter of the American Nutrition Association was established in 2001. In 2011 the ANA said that its European chapter had hosted eight scientific conferences.
Members of the American Nutrition Association are clinicians, researchers and academicians, medical students, and international nutritionists. Categories of membership include Professional Member, Student Member, Professional Associate, and Nutrition Enthusiast.
|Edited by||Rachel Kopec, PhD, Ohio State University|
Journal of the American College of Nutrition
Journal of the American Nutrition Association
|ISO 4||J. Am. Nutr. Assoc.|
- Original and innovative research in nutrition with useful application for researchers, physicians, and other healthcare professionals
- Critical reviews on pertinent nutrition topics that highlight key teaching points and relevance to nutrition
- Letters to the editors and commentaries on important issues in the field of nutrition
- Abstracts on nutritional topics with editorial comments
- Book reviews
- Abstracts from the annual meeting of the American Nutrition Association (in the October issue)
Failure to disclose ties
According to the Integrity in Science project, the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, now the Journal of the American Nutrition Association, failed to disclose the ties of the editor and authors of their June 2006 supplement on sodium to the food industry. The Editor in Chief subsequently published a letter in the journal noting the ambiguity in the conflict of interest disclosure process then in place and a new documentation procedure was put in place to remedy this.
Annual Nutrition Science Conferences
Through 2021 the organization had held 62 annual scientific conferences.
The organization accepted funding from for-profit corporations until 2011. In 2011 the policy was updated:
"The American College of Nutrition accepts no funding from for-profit corporations. This policy fosters our mission and our ability to advance unbiased science without compromise."
- "The Story of the American Nutrition Association". American Nutrition Association. ANA. Retrieved 7 August 2022.
- "American College of Nutrition® | American Nutrition Association". theana.org. Retrieved 2021-09-26.
- "Mission of the American College of Nutrition". Archived from the original on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- Greetings from the President: Robert M. Russell, MD. ASN Member Newsletter. October 2010. PDF
- "Our Core Team". American Nutrition Association. ANA. Retrieved 7 August 2022.
- "Advisors". American Nutrition Association. ANA. Retrieved 7 August 2022.
- "European Chapter of the American College of Nutrition (ECACN)". Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- "Our Passion is to Empower your Passion". American Nutrition Association. ANA. Retrieved 7 August 2022.
- "About Journal of the American College of Nutrition". Archived from the original on 2011-09-06. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- "JACN - Journal of the American College of Nutrition". Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- Wallace, Taylor C. (2012). "Dietary Reference Intakes and Nutrition Labeling: Updating the Daily Values for Vitamins and Minerals". Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 31 (4): 233–238. doi:10.1080/07315724.2012.10720421.
- "Integrity in Science article on ACN failure to disclose conflict of interest". Archived from the original on 2007-06-30. Retrieved 2007-10-12.
- John J. Cunningham, PhD (December 2006). "A Letter to JACN Readers from the Editor-In-Chief". Archived from the original on 2012-08-03. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "Past Conferences". American Nutrition Association. ANA. Retrieved 7 August 2022.
- "ACN Accepts No Corporate Funding". Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 13 October 2011.