Airbus Helicopters, Inc.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Grand Prairie, Texas, United States|
|Chris Emerson, President of Airbus Helicopters, Inc. and Head of the North America Region|
Number of employees
|Parent||Airbus Group, Inc.|
Airbus Helicopters, Inc. (AHI) is a subsidiary of Airbus Group, Inc., the United States subsidiary of Airbus Group. Airbus Helicopters manufactures and markets a broad range of civil helicopters. With large facilities in Texas and Mississippi and service centers throughout the country, Airbus Helicopters, Inc. has a U.S. footprint of over 860,000 square feet and controls over 50% of the U.S. market. 
The company's history goes back to the now-defunct LTV Corporation. In 1968, Vought Helicopter Inc. (VHI), a subsidiary of LTV, built a facility at the Grand Prairie Municipal Airport in Grand Prairie, Texas for the purpose of marketing helicopters to North America built by Aérospatiale, the French helicopter manufacturer. However, six years later Aérospatiale bought out VHI and took over its own marketing; two years later it changed VHI's name to Aérospatiale Helicopter Corporation (AHC). In 1980 AHC built its current Grand Prairie facility.
In 2004, the facility in Columbus, Mississippi was opened and in 2006, became the manufacturing facility and home for the U.S. Army's the UH-72A Lakota helicopter. The company was renamed Airbus Helicopters, Inc. on January 2, 2014.
US production plants
Airbus Helicopters produces helicopters at two production plants in the US.
- Grand Prairie, Texas
- Grand Prairie serves as the headquarters and main facility for Airbus Helicopters. It is adjacent to Grand Prairie Municipal Airport.
- Grand Prairie also serves as the Airbus Helicopters Training facility for North America with state-of-the-art classrooms and the latest technology, full motion simulators.
- Columbus, Mississippi
- The recently constructed Columbus plant handles repairs, upgrades and customizations of all Airbus Helicopters models. It is located on the Golden Triangle Regional Airport.
- The Columbus facility is also the home of the UH-72A Lakota (military EC145), the new Army helicopter.
- Beginning in 2014, Airbus Helicopters will upgrade the Columbus Plant to a final assembly and test site for AS350 helicopters. The plant plans to produce up to 60 additional AS350 helicopters annually by 2016.