American Flyers (flight school)
American Flyers is an American flight school. It is the oldest flight training school in the United States, having been founded at Midway Airport in 1939 by Reed Pigman. In 1980 the flight school chain Aviation Training Enterprises, A.T.E, acquired American Flyers. The company operates a chain of facilities at airports all across the United States. American Flyers produces more instrument-rated pilots than any other school in the nation. Previously based in West Chicago, Illinois, in a building that has now been taken over by the Avel Flight School, American Flyers has eight locations across the United States providing flight training to domestic and international students. An FAA-approved part 141 school, American Flyers offers a 6 months program that uses a rigid training course syllabus and standardized instructors.
American Flyers now has eight locations in the United States and two overseas locations. These include:
- Morristown Municipal Airport, Morristown, NJ
- Pompano Beach Airpark, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Dupage County Airport, West Chicago, IL
- Addison Airport, Dallas, TX
- David Wayne Hooks Airport, Houston, TX
- Santa Monica Airport, Santa Monica, CA
The first Frasca simulator was sold to American Flyers in 1958.
Careers in aviation
- "School at Dupage County Airport has pilots flying high". Sun Publications (IL). Sun Publications. February 2, 1998. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- The first Frasca Simulator was sold to American Flyers in 1958
- Nova Southeastern University Teams up with American Flers
- Dinell, David (July 29, 2003). "Flight school adds five Cessnas to fleet". Wichita Business Journal. American City Business Journals, Inc. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- Jordan, Lam (April 1, 1999). "American Flyers flight school". Plane and Pilot. Werner Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 2009-02-03. (Registration required.)
- Fowler, Ron (September 1, 2007). "American Flyers". Plane and Pilot. Werner Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 2009-02-03. (Registration required.)
- Frasca simulator