American Golf Classic
The American Golf Classic was a tournament on the PGA Tour from 1961 to 1976. It was the third event to be played at the storied Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio after the Rubber City Open Invitational (1954–1959) and the 1960 PGA Championship.
- 1976 David Graham
- 1975 No tournament - hosted PGA Championship
- 1974 Jim Colbert
- 1973 Bruce Crampton
- 1972 Bert Yancey
- 1971 Jerry Heard
- 1970 Frank Beard
- 1969 Raymond Floyd
- 1968 Jack Nicklaus
- 1967 Arnold Palmer
- 1966 No tournament - hosted PGA Championship
- 1965 Al Geiberger
- 1964 Ken Venturi
- 1963 Johnny Pott
- 1962 Arnold Palmer
- 1961 Jay Hebert
- 1961: Jay Hebert wins the inaugural version of the tournament by defeating Gary Player on the second hole of a sudden death playoff. To get in the playoff, Hebert had to make a 20-foot birdie putt on the 72nd hole.
- 1963: Johnny Pott leads the second AGC wire to wire. He wins by four shots over Arnold Palmer.
- 1964: Ken Venturi makes the AGC his third triumph for 1964. He finishes five shots ahead of Mason Rudolph.
- 1965: Al Geiberger wins for the 3rd time ever on the PGA Tour. He finishes four shots ahead of Arnold Palmer. One year later, Geiberger would also win the PGA Championship at the Firestone Country Club.
- 1967: Arnold Palmer becomes the first and only multiple winner of the AGC. He finishes three shots ahead of Doug Sanders.
- 1968: Jack Nicklaus wins in a sudden death playoff over Lee Elder and Frank Beard. Elder, a tour rookie at the time, matched Nicklaus shot for shot for four extra holes before losing on the fifth. The finish of the 1968 American Golf Classic is generally considered one of the most exciting in televised golf history.
- 1969: Raymond Floyd shoots a final round 65 to win by four shots over Bobby Nichols.
- 1973: Bruce Crampton wins by three shots over Lanny Wadkins, Gay Brewer, and Bob Murphy. It is Crampton's 4th win of the year and at the time vaults him to #1 on the money list for the year.
- 1974: Jim Colbert wins the AGC in a four-way playoff. He defeats Raymond Floyd, Gay Brewer, and Forrest Fezler.
- 1976: David Graham wins the last edition of the tournament. He finishes four shots ahead of Lou Graham.
- "A Championship Legacy". Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- Jay Hebert wins Golf Classic in playoff with Gary Player
- Johnny Pott wins Golf Classic title
- American Golf Title won by Ken Venturi
- Al Geiberger pockets 20,000 for American Golf Classic win
- McGowan falters; Palmer wins Classic
- Nicklaus wins dramatic playoff with Lee Elder
- Ray Floyd proves point
- Bruce Crampton triumphs in American Golf Classic
- Jim Colbert gets it all in Golf Classic
- Australian David Graham wins American Golf Classic