|Theme music composer||Swamp Cabbage|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26 aired (list of episodes)|
|Location(s)||Wheat Ridge, Colorado|
|Running time||60 minutes with commercials|
|Production company(s)||Gurney Productions|
|Original network||Discovery Channel|
|Original release||October 10, 2011 – December 17, 2012|
American Guns is a reality television series that aired on the Discovery Channel. The series centers on the blended family where patriarch Rich Wyatt, his wife Renee, and his step-children run Gunsmoke Guns, located in Wheat Ridge, Colorado. They specialize in gun manufacture, trade, customization, and instruction.
On December 17, 2012, Discovery announced the cancellation of the series.
- Rich Wyatt — Founder/Owner, Firearms Instructor
- Renee Wyatt — Co-Owner, Business Manager, Rich's wife
- Kurt — Engraver, Sales Associate, Firearms Instructor
- Paige — Sales Associate
Rich and Renee have 2 younger children who are not involved in the show due to their age.
Gunsmiths & Sales Team
- Brian Meidal – Head Gunsmith
- Gary — Gunsmith/Welder
- Joe — Machinist
- Jon — Gunsmith/Painter
- Scott — Gunsmith/Custom Rifle Builder
- Bob — Gun Historian
- Ben — Sales Associate
- Chris — Machinist, Sales Associate
- Brian — Sales Associate
- Doug - Machinist
Two seasons have gone to air.
The New York Times reviewed the show in the wake of the 2012 Aurora shooting, examining the American fascination with firearms. They described the show as combining the "haggling of Pawn Stars, the over-the-top customizing of American Chopper and a healthy dose of cleavage in a peppy package that resembles a hundred other small-business-based reality shows, except that the business in this case is the sale of deadly weapons". The reviewer notes that although some may be uncomfortable with the easy availability of guns in America, the audience of over 1 million viewers does not seem to have any such qualms.
Cancellation and controversy
On December 17, 2012, Discovery announced the cancellation of the series. Discovery said the decision had been made earlier, it was only announced in December. A spokesperson said "Discovery Channel chose not to renew the series and has no plans to air repeats of the show." The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting is thought to have played a part in the decision.
Additionally, in March 2013 Gunsmoke Guns was served a search warrant for the premises by the Internal Revenue Service as "part of an ongoing financial investigation" that had been underway for several years according to an agency spokesperson. This took place shortly after a reported February 27 burglary where twelve handguns and three rifles were stolen by thieves who broke in through the roof of the shop.
There was also speculation in the press that the IRS investigation was the result of Gunsmoke operator Rich Wyatt's remarks regarding pending Colorado legislation regarding gun purchase and ownership.
In the last episode of season one, a man identified later as Wylie Newton attempted to sell an antique Colt pistol that had been stolen from a museum in New Mexico. A fan of the show that was familiar with the robbery recognized the gun and alerted authorities.
- Gunsmoke Guns Official Site
- American Guns at Discovery
- American Guns at Gurney Productions
- American Guns at the Internet Movie Database
- "Contact Us | Gunsmoke Guns". Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Nellie Andreeva (December 17, 2012). "Discovery Series 'American Guns' Cancelled". Deadline.com.
- Brantley,Amy (16 June 2012). "Kurt Wyatt of American Guns Discusses Engraving". Yahoo Voices Network. Yahoo. Archived from the original on 29 July 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2013.[unreliable source?]
- Miller, Victoria Leigh (6 June 2012). "'American Guns' Star Renee Wyatt Talks Parenting and Life as a TV Family". Yahoo! Voices. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- Hale, Mike (26 July 2012). "Discovery's 'American Guns,' After Aurora". New York Times. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (26 April 2012). "'American Guns' Up 50% With Second Season Premiere On Discovery". TV by theNumbers. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "'American Guns' Premiers to Big Ratings on Discovery". The Futon Critic. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Harnick, Chris (18 December 2012). "'American Guns' Canceled: Discovery Pulls Series In Wake Of Newtown Shooting". Huffington Post.
- Nguyen, Kim. "IRS raids Gunsmoke gun shop, store formerly featured in reality TV show 'American Guns' on Discovery". ABC Channel 7, Denver, CO. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Roberts, Michael. "American Guns' Gunsmoke Guns: Did Wyatt family rip off the I.R.S. for years?". Denver Westword. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Roberts, Michael. "Wylie Newton charged with stealing antique gun from museum, trying to sell it on TV". Denver Westword. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- According to the ending credits of the show.