|Edited by||Mark Philip Bradley|
Oxford University Press (United States)
|Frequency||quarterly, 1895-1967, 2022-; 5/year, 1967-2021|
|ISO 4||Am. Hist. Rev.|
The American Historical Review is a quarterly academic history journal published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the American Historical Association, for which it is its official publication. It targets readers interested in all periods and facets of history and has often been described as the premier journal of American history in the world.
Founded in 1895, The American Historical Review was a joint effort between the history departments at Cornell University and at Harvard University, modeled on The English Historical Review and the French Revue historique, "for the promotion of historical studies, the collection and preservation of historical documents and artifacts, and the dissemination of historical research."
The journal is published in March, June, September, and December as a book-like academic publication with research papers and book reviews, among other items (each issue typically runs to about 500 pages). Each year, approximately 25 articles are published in the journal. The acceptance rate for submissions is around 9 percent. The journal also publishes approximately 1,000 book reviews per year.
The editorial offices are located at Indiana University Bloomington in Bloomington, Indiana, where a small staff produces the publication under the guidance of a 12-member advisory board. From the October 2007 issue until 2011, the journal was published by the University of Chicago Press. As of 2023, the journal has been published by the Oxford University Press.
The editorial board of the AHR is composed of scholars in a number of fields and subfields, including medieval and early modern Europe, western and eastern Europe and Russia, East and South Asia, Latin America, early and modern US, Middle East, and methods and theory.
- Andersen, Deborah Lines (2004). Digital Scholarship in the Tenure, Promotion, and Review Process. ISBN 9780765611130.
- Upshur-Ransome, Cora Lee (2000). A Comparison of the African-American Presence ... ISBN 9780761818373.
- "History Journals With Impact". The Past Speaks.
- "CORNELL'S HISTORICAL DEPARTMENT - Part Taken by It in the Founding of a New Magazine. - Article - NYTimes.com". The New York Times. 15 April 1895.
- "About the American Historical Review". The American Historical Review.
- "About the Journal_The American Historical Review_Oxford Academic". Retrieved 1 June 2023.
- "Oxford University Press to Publish American Historical Review". AHA Today. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Stieg, Margaret F. (1986). "The Spread of Scholarly Historical Periodicals: France, Great Britain, and the United States". The Origin and Development of Scholarly Historical Periodicals. Tuscaloosa: University Alabama Press. pp. 39–81. ISBN 0-8173-0273-5.