American History High School
|American History High School|
|74 Montgomery Street
Newark, NJ 07103
|Type||Magnet Public high school|
|School district||Newark Public Schools|
|Vice principals||Elizabeth Crespo
|Enrollment||445 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.7:1|
|Team name||Bald Eagles|
American History High School is a magnet public high school in the University Heights neighborhood of Newark, New Jersey, operating since its establishment in 2007 as part of the Newark Public Schools. Operating together with the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, the New Jersey Historical Society and Rutgers–Newark, American History High School's magnet program is designed to take advantage of the city's place in American history and its access to academic, cultural and civic resources as part of a college preparatory curriculum designed to assist students in understanding local, state and national history and preparing each student to attend college.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 445 students and 35.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.7:1. There were 278 students (62.5% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 10 (2.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 251st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 198th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, the first time that the school was ranked by the magazine.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school 136th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 113 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (82.4%) and language arts literacy (96.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
American History High School participates in men's soccer competing indepenently under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 215 students in grades 10-12, the school is classified by the NJSIAA in North II, Group I, which includes schools with enrollment in that grade range from 73 to 487.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Bryan Olkowski, Principal
- Elizabeth Crespo, Vice Principal of Curriculum & Assessment Social Studies and World Languages
- Elizabeth Haden, Vice Principal of Culture and Climate
- Omar Muhammad, Vice Principal of Curriculum and Assessment Math and Science
- School data for American History High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- School Narrative, American History High School. Accessed September 14, 2011.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- American History High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 25, 2015.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- NJSIAA General Public School Classification 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 25, 2015.
- Administration, American History High School. Accessed October 25, 2015.
- Vice Principals, American History High School. Accessed October 25, 2015.