This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||SEHK: 1299
Hang Seng Component
|Industry||Insurance and financial services|
|Founder||Cornelius Vander Starr|
1 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong
|Ng Keng Hooi (Group Chief Executive and President)|
|Products||Life insurance, accident and health insurance, savings plans, employee benefits, credit life and pension services|
|Brands||The Real Life Company|
|Total assets||US$172 billion (as of 31 May 2015)|
AIA Group Limited, known as AIA, is the largest public listed pan-Asian life insurance group. It offers insurance and financial services, writing life insurance for individuals and businesses, as well as accident and health insurance, and offers retirement planning, and wealth management services.
AIA is based in Hong Kong, with a presence in 18 markets in Asia-Pacific, with wholly owned branches and subsidiaries in Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Korea, the Philippines, Australia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, New Zealand, Macau, Brunei, Cambodia, a 97% subsidiary in Sri Lanka, a 49% joint venture in India and a representative office in Myanmar. Since 2013, AIA has had an exclusive bancassurance agreement with Citibank that encompasses 11 AIA markets in the Asia-Pacific region.
In August of 2013, AIA became the official shirt partner of English Premier League(EPL) club Tottenham Hotspur. AIA's contract with Tottenham was renewed in May of 2017 and will extend through the 2021–2022 EPL season.
AIA traces its roots to 1919 when Cornelius Vander Starr founded what was then known as American Asiatic Underwriters in Shanghai, China (later American International Underwriters). Starr eventually expanded his business throughout the world. In 1939, Starr relocated his head office from Shanghai to New York after the Japanese invasion of China and again in 1949 with the communist takeover of mainland China, and the Asian AIA became a subsidiary of New York-based American International Group (AIG).
In December 2009, AIG sold preferred equity interests in two newly formed international life insurance subsidiaries, American International Assurance Company, Limited (AIA) and American Life Insurance Company (ALICO), to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York to reduce its debt by US$25 billion.
AIA had planned to be listed in Hong Kong Stock Exchange in April 2010. However, in March 2010, Prudential PLC, a UK-based financial services and securities company, announced that it would buy AIA for US$35.5 billion. The purchase later fell through, and AIA held an IPO in October 2010, raising approximately HK$159.08 billion (US$20.51 billion), the world's third largest IPO ever.
In September 2012, AIA acquired a 92.3% stake in Sri Lankan insurer Aviva NDB Insurance from British insurer Aviva and Sri Lanka's National Development Bank (NDB). AIA also entered into an exclusive 20-year bancassurance agreement with NDB, one of Sri Lanka's largest financial conglomerates with a nationwide bank branch network.
In December 2012, AIG sold all of its 13.69% shareholding in AIA.
Since 2013, AIA has had an exclusive bancassurance agreement with Citibank that encompasses 11 AIA markets in the Asia-Pacific region, namely Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, China, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Australia, India, and Korea.
- "AIA Fact Sheet". AIA Group Limited. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "AIA corporate facts". Archived from the original on 10 May 2013.
- AIG closes two transactions that reduce debt that IAG owes Federal Reserve Bank of New York by $25 billion
- "Prudential Plc to Buy AIA for $35.5 Billion to Expand in Asia". BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 4 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "AIA's successful listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange" (PDF). 19 October 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016.
- "AIA Acquires Leading Sri Lankan Insurance Company" (PDF). 27 September 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016.
- "AIA Extends Pan-Asian Leadership Position with Acquisition of ING Malaysia" (PDF). 11 October 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016.
- "AIG Divests Remaining Holding in AIA, Marking a Milestone in AIA's History" (PDF). 18 December 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2013.
- "AIA Further Strengthens Pan-Asian Leadership through Exclusive Long-Term Bancassurance Partnership with Citibank in 11 Markets" (PDF). 19 December 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 February 2016.