American International College
|Motto||Post Tenebras Lux|
Motto in English
|"Light after Darkness"|
|Established||July 18, 1885|
|President||Vincent M. Maniaci|
|Colors||Black and Yellow|
|Affiliations||Cooperating Colleges of Greater Springfield|
American International College was originally established on July 18, 1885, as the French Protestant College by Rev. Calvin E. Amaron, who sought to create an institution of higher learning that would provide the local French Protestant minority with access to higher education. Over the years the college expanded its admissions program to include women, in 1892—the first New England college to do so—as well as minorities who were not of French origin and had immigrated to Western Massachusetts from other parts of Europe and Canada.
The college offers undergraduate and graduate programs, including master's and doctoral degrees and certificates of advanced graduate study (CAGS). There are three schools which focus on their respective academic areas:
- School of Business, Arts, and Sciences: Bachelor's and master's degrees.
- School of Health Sciences: Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.
- School of Education: Master's and doctoral degrees.
Undergraduate students choose from 37 majors as they earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) or Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (B.S.B.A). Certificates and other non-degree programs are also offered.
Among the exceptions is the school's men's ice hockey team, which is a member of the Division I, Atlantic Hockey Association. The team participated in its first NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship in 2019 and defeated nationally ranked No.1 St. Cloud State in the first round. Additionally, the college's wrestling program, which is the only NCAA DII program in New England, competes as an independent.
AIC also has a college rugby program that was founded in 2009 and began play in 2010. The rugby program is part of the school's athletic department, has varsity status, with rugby scholarships available for students. AIC's men's team plays Division 1A in the Liberty Conference, while the women's team is a member of the NIRA.
- Paul Babeu, Arizona sheriff
- Mark G. Mastroianni, United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Richard Neal, member of the United States House of Representatives
- Mike Gravel, Alaska Senator.
- Jim Calhoun, a Hall of Fame basketball coach
- Dave Forbes, NHL hockey player
- Mario Elie, NBA guard and coach
- Bruce Laird, NFL safety for the Baltimore Colts
- Tom Rychlec, NFL and AFL tight end for several teams
- Asnage Castelly, Olympic Games 1st Haitian wrestler in Summer Olympics in the 74 kg freestyle competition also the flag bearer of the Haitian delegation for the Olympics opening.
- GASHI, An American Rapper
- "Logo Usage & Brand Standards Manual" (PDF). American International College. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 28, 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "History | American International College". www.aic.edu. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- "AIC men's hockey stuns No. 1 St. Cloud State in NCAA tournament debut | NCAA.com". www.ncaa.com. Retrieved May 22, 2019.
- AIC Rugby, Fast Facts, http://aicrugby.com/about-us/fast-facts/ Archived January 19, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- USA Rugby, American International College, http://usarugby.org/college-directory/item/american-international-college
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American International College (Massachusetts).|