American International University-Bangladesh
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|AMA International University-Bangladesh|
|Motto||Where leaders are created|
|Established||6 November 1994|
|Founder||Dr. Anwarul Abedin|
|Chairman||Ms. Nadia Anwar|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Carmen Z. Lamagna|
|363 (full-time) as of Summer 2016-2017|
|Students||15,000(approx) as of Spring 2018-2019|
408/1, Kuratoli, Khilkhet, Dhaka 1229,
|Sports||Cricket - AIUB Tigers, Football - AIUB Eagles|
American International University-Bangladesh (Bengali: আমেরিকান ইন্টারন্যাশনাল ইউনিভার্সিটি-বাংলাদেশ), commonly known by its acronym AIUB, is an accredited private university in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The university is an independent organization with own Board of Trustees. It offers several degree programs at graduate and undergraduate level from four faculties, particularly in the field of engineering and business studies.
The university was established on 06 November, 1994 as AMA International University Bangladesh, a joint venture between AMA Computer University of the Philippines, and local sponsor Anwarul Abedin. Regular academic classes started in 1995. AMA Computer University later left the partnership, and in 2001 the university was renamed American International University-Bangladesh.
The university's campus is located in an urban setting near Kuril flyover. The campus area is about 30 acres (12 ha). A total building area of 1,300,000 square feet (120,000 m2)  is being utilized for academic programs both undergraduate and graduate. The construction of main academic building is under-process. Currently, AIUB operates it's all academic activities in 7 annex buildings. The library has been shifted to the iconic round-shaped building.
Each applicant has to pass the competitive admission test administered by the university. In admission test university judges applicant for their knowledge of math and English language. No IELTS score is acceptable without admission test, only TOEFL is acceptable. There are two parts of admission exam written and Viva. Student have to pass both individually.
The medium of instruction of all academic programs at AIUB is English. The academic year of the university incorporates two regular semesters (Fall and Spring). The Summer semester is an optional semester at AIUB. The duration of each semester is 14 weeks. The academic year starts from Fall semester.
The academic programs are divided among the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, Faculty of Business Administration, Faculty of Engineering, and Faculty of Science and Information Technology. All the faculties offer both undergraduate and graduate level studies.
AIUB updated its grading system in February 2017 for the second time. The New Grading System will be applicable for those students who have enrolled in Spring 2016-17 and later. Old Grading system will still be applicable for students who have enrolled in Fall 2016-17 and before. The letter grades indicating the quality of course work completed with their corresponding grade points. Minimum CGPA requirement for graduation in any undergraduate and graduate program at AIUB is 2.50.
The scholarship program at AIUB is open for both incoming and continuing students with at least one year of residency. It covers full or partial tuition fee waiver. Incoming students qualify by passing the competitive examinations while weighted average CGPA for the previous year of 3.75 with no grade lower than B and no F, I, W, UW grades no disciplinary records. The number of awards is dependent on the slots available. AIUB authority also provide financial aids for deserving students. AIUB also offers 100% scholarship for the son and daughter of Freedom Fighter (They Should maintain CGPA 3.50 ).
Research and publications
In research arena, AIUB has internal academic journals: AIUB Journal of Science and Engineering (AJSE) (ISSN 1608-3679) and AIUB Journal of Business and Economics (AJBE), (ISSN 1683-8742). Since the first publications in 2002 three issues per year are being published regularly. AIUB is also the first institute in Bangladesh to launch an online working paper series named AIUB BUS ECON Working Paper Series.
AIUB has a library.
Extra curricular activities
AIUB is one of the only eight universities from Bangladesh who have participated in the maximum level of ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ACM ICPC) commonly known as ACM ICPC World Final. In 2001, AIUB qualified for the world final through Wild Card by securing second place in ACM ICPC Kanpur Site regional. Office of Student Affairs (OSA) looks after the extra curricular activities of the student community through student organizations like: AIUB Arts Club first organised "AIUB Arts Club presents 1st Inter Private University Art Exhibition- 2012" Unleashing Imagination at Dhaka Art Center
Affiliations and membership
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
AIUB is member of professional bodies including:
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh (UGC)
- Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB)
- Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB)
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU)
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business(AACSB)
- Association of the Universities of Asia and the Pacific (AUAP)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Bangladesh (AmCham)
- Aziz Ahmed (general)
- Taskin Ahmed
- Sabbir Rahman
- Shakib Al Hasan
- Minar Rahman
- Tawsif Mahbub
- Sabila Nur
- Tasnova Hoque Elvin
- "Faculty member lists - AIUB". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "AIUB Campus". Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- "List of Accredited Private Universities in Bangladesh". Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "AIUB-Trustee Board". Retrieved 10 March 2008.
- "AIUB to Revolutionize Country's IT Computer Scenario". Computer Jagat. January 1995.
- "AIUB Renamed". 2001.
- "AIUB Permanent Campus". AIUB. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Permanent Campus of AIUB". The Daily Star. 30 March 2012.
- "AIUB Admission (Webpage)". Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "AIUB Admission (Facebook)". Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Degrees Offering at Present". Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Revised Grading System (Version 3)". Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Grading System at AIUB". Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Revised Graduation Requirements at AIUB". Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "AIUB BUS ECON Working Paper Series". Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Final Standing, ACM ICPC World Final 2002". Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2008.
- "ACM ICPC Kanpur Site regional standing 2001". Archived from the original on 13 October 2007. Retrieved 16 March 2008.