The American Iron and Steel Institute is an association of North American steel producers. With its predecessor organizations, is one of the oldest trade associations in the United States, dating back to 1855. It assumed its present form in 1908, with Judge Elbert H. Gary, chairman of the United States Steel Corporation, as its first president. Its development was in response to the need for a cooperative agency in the iron and steel industry for collecting and disseminating statistics and information, carrying on investigations, providing a forum for the discussion of problems and generally advancing the interests of the industry.
The AISI maintained a numbering system for wrought stainless steel in which the three digits indicate the various compositions. The 200 and 300 series are generally austenitic stainless steels, whereas the 400 series are either ferritic or martensitic. Some of the grades have a one-letter or two-letter suffix that indicates a particular modification of the composition. In 1995 the AISI turned over future maintenance of the system to the Society of Automotive Engineers.
Elbert H. Gary Medal
Since 1927, the institute has awarded the Elbert H. Gary Medal, an annual medal named for its first president, to a leader within the North American steel industry. Recipients include:
- 1944: Quincy Bent
- 1991: Frank W. Luerssen
- 1997: Joseph F. Toot Jr.
- 2003: John T. Mayberry 
- 2004: Daniel R. DiMicco 
- 2005: David Sutherland 
- 2006: John P. Surma
- World Steel Association
- List of steel producers
- Metal Building Manufacturers Association
- SAE steel grades
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- "1. Introduction to Stainless Steels". Alloy Digest Sourcebook: Stainless Steels. ASM International. 2000.
- Bringas, John E. (2004). Handbook of Comparative World Steel Standards: Third Edition (PDF) (3rd ed.). ASTM International. p. 14. ISBN 0-8031-3362-6. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 27, 2007.
- "Steel Men Discuss Labor Relations". New York Times. May 26, 1944.
- Staff (27 May 1991) "Luerssen recipient of medal" American Metal Market 99(101): p.6
- Staff (December 1997) "Toot retires as Timken's president" New Steel 13(12): p. 18
- ""John T. Mayberry Awarded 2003 Gary Memorial Medal at AISI General Meeting" 15 May 2003". Archived from the original on 16 March 2007. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- ""Daniel R. Dimicco Awarded 2004 Gary Memorial Medal at AISI General Meeting" 4 May 2004". Archived from the original on 13 January 2009. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- ""David Sutherland Awarded 2005 Gary Memorial Medal At AISI General Meeting" 23 May 2005". Archived from the original on 13 January 2009. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Robertson, Scott (11 May 2006) "U.S. Steel's Surma awarded AISI's Gary Medal" American Metal Market 114(18-4): p.7