American Pharoah Stakes
|Grade I race|
|Location||Santa Anita Park|
Arcadia, California, United States
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄16 miles (8.5 furlongs)|
|Weight||122 pounds (55 kg)|
|Purse||$300,000 (since 2014)|
The American Pharoah Stakes is an American Thoroughbred horse race run annually near the end of September during the fall meet at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California. A Grade I event, it is open to two-year-old horses and is held at a distance of one and one-sixteenth miles on the dirt.
The American Pharoah Stakes was run as the Norfolk Stakes through its 2011 running. In 2012, it was renamed to the FrontRunner Stakes after the lease with Oak Tree, the organization that formerly operated Santa Anita's fall meet, ended in 2010. It was renamed again in 2018 in honor of its 2014 winner, American Pharoah, who went on to win the U.S. Triple Crown in 2015.
This race is a Road to the Kentucky Derby Prep Season qualifying race. The winner receives 10 points toward qualifying for the Kentucky Derby. It is also currently part of the Breeders' Cup Challenge series. The winner automatically qualifies for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.
The race was run over a distance of 1 mile from 1997 through 2001. It was run in two divisions in 1980.
Speed record: (at current distance of 1 1⁄16 miles)
- 1:41.27 - Ruler's Court (2003)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 7 - Alex Solis (1985, 1991, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 8 - Bob Baffert (1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2018)
Most wins by an owner:
- 3 - Golden Eagle Farm (1990, 1992, 1997)
- "American Pharoah Stakes Profile". equibase.com. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Older horses take spotlight in new-look Santa Anita stakes". kentucky. Retrieved 2018-08-16.
- "Santa Anita Names Stakes After American Pharoah". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2018-08-16.
- "Road to the Kentucky Derby". kentuckyderbyinfographic.com. Churchill Downs Inc. Archived from the original on 2018-08-06. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santa Anita Park.|