American Public Media
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
American Public Media (APM) is the second largest producer of public radio programs in the United States of America after NPR. Its non-profit parent, American Public Media Group, also owns and operates radio stations in Minnesota and California. Its station brands are Minnesota Public Radio and Southern California Public Radio. Until July 2015, APM also operated Classical South Florida, which was sold to Educational Media Foundation, a California-based religious broadcasting company that airs contemporary Christian music.
Based in St. Paul, Minnesota, American Public Media (APM) is best known for the distribution of Garrison Keillor's popular weekend program A Prairie Home Companion, and Krista Tippett's Peabody Award–winning program On Being. It also produces the national financial news program Marketplace.
Historical ties to Public Radio International
Formerly, much of American Public Media's programming content was distributed by Public Radio International, which itself was named "American Public Radio", or APR, until July 1, 1994. APR was formed by four stations, the Minnesota Public Radio network, WGBH in Boston, WNYC in New York, and KUSC in Los Angeles, to distribute A Prairie Home Companion. PRI owns and produces numerous programs today, but still also distributes diverse programming from many sources. In contrast, APM, which was founded in 2004, predominantly distributes content that it owns and produces itself; exceptions include The Story with Dick Gordon (which ended production in October 2013), the distribution to US stations of the BBC World Service, and the BBC Proms broadcasts from Royal Albert Hall in London.
Programs distributed by American Public Media
- American RadioWorks
- BBC World Service
- On Being
- Carnegie Hall Live
- Classical Live
- Composers Datebook
- Freakonomics Radio (produced by WNYC)
- Marketplace Morning Report
- Marketplace Tech Report
- Marketplace Money
- Performance Today
- Pop Vultures (2004)
- A Prairie Home Companion
- Saint Paul Sunday
- The Splendid Table
- The Story with Dick Gordon
- The Writer's Almanac
- John Strasswimmer (July 18, 2015). "Sale of WPBI-FM to leave NPR, classical music gap". Palm Beach Daily News. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- Ben Mook (July 8, 2015). "American Public Media Group aims to sell Fla. classical network to religious broadcaster". Current. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- 67th Annual Peabody Awards, May 2008.
- Marc Fisher (July 29, 2007). "To Air Is Divine, Say Backers of Imperiled Station". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- About us. American Public Media. Retrieved on 2008-05-20.
- "Freakonomics » About Freakonomics Radio". Retrieved 13 October 2014.