American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein
|American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein|
|Directed by||David Ridgen
|Produced by||David Ridgen
|Music by||Judd Greenstein|
|Edited by||Cameron Clendaniel
|Distributed by||Typecast Releasing
American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein is a 2009 documentary film about the life of the American academic Norman Finkelstein, directed and produced by David Ridgen and Nicolas Rossier. The documentary features Finkelstein and several of his supporters and opponents, including Noam Chomsky and Alan Dershowitz.
The film made its world premiere in Chicago as part of the 2009 IFP Chicago Underground Film Festival and won the audience choice award for best documentary. It was a part of the Sheffield Doc/Fest, IDFA in Amsterdam and Hot Docs in Toronto. It won the Cinema Politica Audience Award in 2010. Jerusalem Film Festival describes the work of the filmmakers as: “the most talked-about documentary films of the last months, a fascinating portrait that confidently walks that tightrope known as balance…” The film had its television premiere on Yes Television in Israel in May 2010. In April 2011 the film aired on Al Jazeera English worldwide and in the US on Link TV and selected PBS stations.
In February 2010 the film opened in New York and received 100% freshness ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, using data from 222 ratings and 11 reviewers. Despite the many controversies surrounding the main subject, Norman Finkelstein, major national Jewish publications such as The Jewish Daily Forward, Jewish Week and the Jewish Telegraphic Agency reviewed the film favorably. According to the distributor's website, the film has also received endorsements from personalities like Mark Achbar, Michael Moore and others like author and historian Charles Glass and Canadian born actor Saul Rubinek. The film was invited to join the collection of the Oscars's Library in June 2010.
- Official website
- American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein – Al Jazeera English
- Interview with the directors David Ridgen and Nicolas Rossier in Art Threat
- American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein on IMDb
- American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein at Rotten Tomatoes
- American Radical from Typecast Films.com
- IDFA Festival page
- American Radical, review in The New York Times.
- , review in 'Time Out New York".
- , review in The Jewish Daily Forward.
- Interview with director Nicolas Rossier at Documentary Blog