American River Aquatic Reserve
|American River Aquatic Reserve|
|Nearest town or city||American River|
|Established||1 December 1971|
|Area||15.39 km2 (5.9 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Primary Industries and Resources South Australia (PIRSA)|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
American River Aquatic Reserve is a marine protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located on the north coast of Kangaroo Island in waters of the coastal lagoon known as Pelican Lagoon.
American River Aquatic Reserve which is also called the Pelican Lagoon Aquatic Reserve in some sources was declared on 30 November 1971 under the Fisheries Act 1971 and was re-proclaimed in 2007 following the enactment of the Fisheries Management Act 2007. It is reported as being the oldest operating aquatic reserve created under fisheries legislation in South Australia.
The purpose of the aquatic reserve is to ‘protect seagrass mudflats and to provide a sanctuary for juvenile and adult fish including whiting.’ This is achieved by the prohibition of both fishing and the collection of marine organisms within its waters. Access is permitted and activities such as birdwatching, boating, swimming and recreational diving (i.e. snorkelling and scuba diving) are also permitted. The aquatic reserve covers the full extent of the lagoon up including part of the inlet stopping at a line running from Picnic Point across to the adjoining shore just south of the American River township.
- "Aquatic Reserves (as part of the proclamation of the Fisheries Act 1971)" (PDF). South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. 30 November 1971. pp. 2263–2264. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Collaborative Australian Protected Area Database (CAPAD) - Marine Protected Areas in coastal waters of South Australia (refer "DETAIL' tab)". Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "Search result for "American River Aquatic Reserve" with the following databases selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and "Aquatic Reserves"". Location SA Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) (2007), Aquatic Reserve: American River (PDF), Primary Industries and Regions South Australia, archived (PDF) from the original on 5 April 2015
- Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) (2012), Management Plan for the Pelican Lagoon Aquatic Reserve; The South Australian Fisheries Management Series Paper number 56, Primary Industries and Regions South Australia, pp. 5, 12 and 13, ISBN 978-0-9807387-2-8, archived (PDF) from the original on 4 September 2014
- Anon (1987). Conservation Parks of Kangaroo Island Management Plan (PDF). Adelaide: Department of Environment and Planning, South Australia. pp. 65 and 73. ISBN 0-7243-8983-0.
- "Encounter Marine Park Management Plan 2012" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. pp. 5, 31 and 35. Retrieved 10 October 2016.