American Sleep Apnea Association
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
The ASAA provides information on sleep apnea to the public and answers questions about diagnosis and treatment options. The ASAA works with other non-profit organizations and societies of health-care professionals to reach the undiagnosed. In addition, the ASAA serves as an advocate for people with sleep apnea and assists them in living with this disorder and its repercussions.
The ASAA publishes bulletins, newsletters, and position statements on various subjects related to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnea. These publications provide medical, social, and legal information relevant to those with sleep apnea. The ASAA encourages screening for those that may have sleep apnea by providing general information on the condition as well as a self-diagnostic test.
Sleep Apnea Support Groups
The ASAA provides access to the A.W.A.K.E. Network, a network of support groups for those with sleep apnea. "A.W.A.K.E." is an acronym for "Alert, Well, And Keeping Energetic." Founded in 1988 as a mutual-help support group for persons affected by sleep apnea, the A.W.A.K.E. Network is now composed of more than 300 groups in 47 states. A.W.A.K.E. meetings typically feature guest speakers who address topics such as complying with CPAP therapy, legal issues affecting those with sleep apnea, weight loss, treatment options such as oral appliances, and new research findings. The ASAA also sponsors an online support group as an alternative to the A.W.A.K.E. groups.
- Judith Owens, MD, MPH, "American Sleep Apnea Association 2.0," May 2, 2013, in Sleep Review online, at http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/all-news/18463-american-sleep-apnea-association-2-0 .
- "American Sleep Apnea Association Hosting Conference Addressing Economic Impact of Sleep Apnea," Oct. 4, 2012, in Sleep Review online, at http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/business/15422-american-sleep-apnea-association-hosting-conference-addressing-economic-impact-of-sleep-apnea .
- "National Initiative Hopes to "Wake Up" Americans to Sleep Apnea," March 14, 2013, in Sleep Review online, at http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/all-news/18374-national-initiative-hopes-to-wake-up-americans-to-sleep-apnea .
- "Cost Savings a Major Benefit of Treating Sleep Apnea in Employees," Nov. 13, 2012, in Sleep Review online, at http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/business/18150-cost-savings-a-major-benefit-of-treating-sleep-apnea-in-employees .
- Ed Grandi, "ASAA Hosts Inaugural Sleep Apnea And Trucking Conference," June 7, 2010, in Advance for Respiratory Care & Sleep Medicine online, http://respiratory-care-sleep-medicine.advanceweb.com/Columns/From-Our-Alliance-ASAA/ASAA-Hosts-Inaugural-Sleep-Apnea-And-Trucking-Conference.aspx .
- "Sleep Fair Presented by Park Nicollet and ASAA," in Advance for Respiratory Care & Sleep Medicine online, at http://respiratory-care-sleep-medicine.advanceweb.com/Web-Extras/Market-Matters/Sleep-Fair-Park-Nicollet-ASAA.aspx .
- "ASAA Launches Online Directory for Snoring and Sleep Apnea," Aug. 13, 2009, in Advance for Respiratory Care & Sleep Medicine online, at http://respiratory-care-sleep-medicine.advanceweb.com/Article/ASAA-Launches-Online-Directory-for-Snoring-and-Sleep-Apnea.aspx .
- Colleen Mullarkey, "Sick and Tired of Feeling Tired: Could your snoozing issues be warning signs of sleep apnea?," March 9, 2010, in Advance for Respiratory Care & Sleep Medicine online, at http://respiratory-care-sleep-medicine.advanceweb.com/Archives/Article-Archives/Sick-and-Tired-of-Feeling-Tired.aspx .
- "Start of the Road," March30, 2011, in Sleep Review online, at http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/all-news/16311-start-of-the-road .