American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Edward T. Morgan|
|Judith A. Siuciak (executive officer)|
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) is a scientific society founded in late 1908 by John Jacob Abel of Johns Hopkins University (also the founder of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), with the aim of promoting the growth of pharmacological research. Many society members are researchers in basic and clinical pharmacology who help develop disease-fighting medications and therapeutics. ASPET is one of the constituent societies of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). The society's headquarters are in Rockville, MD. The current president is Edward T. Morgan.
The society publishes three research journals and a review journal:
- Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Drug Metabolism and Disposition
- Molecular Pharmacology
- Pharmacological Reviews
Starting in 2012 these plublications are only offered online.
ASPET also publishes a quarterly newsletter, The Pharmacologist, and, from 2001-2011, Molecular Interventions magazine.
The society gives out several awards:
- John J. Abel Award
- Julius Axelrod Award
- Pharmacia-ASPET Award in Experimental Therapeutics
- Robert R. Ruffolo Career Achievement Award
- Travel Award for Pharmacology Educators
- Bernard B. Brodie Award in Drug Metabolism
- P.B. Dews Lifetime Achievement Award for Research in Behavioral Pharmacology
- Drug Metabolism Early Career Achievement Award
- Goodman and Gilman Award in Receptor Pharmacology
- Benedict R. Lucchesi Distinguished Lectureship in Cardiac Pharmacology
- Torald Sollmann Award in Pharmacology
- Paul M. Vanhoutte Distinguished Lectureship in Cardiovascular Pharmacology
Travel awards to participate in its meetings are also given to students and postdocs.
- Chen, K. K., International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics - The First Sixty Years 1908-1969], American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 1969, p6. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences
- Parascandola, J., A Brief History of ASPET on Its Centennial Anniversary, Molecular Interventions 7: 288-302 (2007), p288.
- About ASPET, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Constituent Societies, FASEB, retrieved 18 August 2010
- ASPET Council, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Awards and Fellowships, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, retrieved 17 April 2012
- Awards and Fellowships, American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics