American Society for Quality
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Formation||February 16, 1946|
|Purpose||To promote the use of techniques to improve organizational quality|
|Services||Certification, training, conferences|
|80000 (approximately) (2013)|
|Eric Hayler, Ph.D.|
|Board of directors|
|American Society for Quality Control|
The American Society for Quality (ASQ, formerly named American Society for Quality Control (ASQC)), is a knowledge-based global community of quality professionals, with nearly 80,000 members dedicated to promoting and advancing quality tools, principles, and practices in their workplaces and communities.
Today, ASQ is a global organization with members in more than 150 countries. ASQ has service centers in Mexico, China and India, and has established strategic alliances with many organizations in countries like Brazil and the United Arab Emirates to promote ASQ products and training.
ASQ provides its members with certification, training, publications, conferences, and other services. Internationally, ASQ has formed relationships with nonprofit organizations that have comparable missions and principles, forming collaborative efforts to meet the quality needs of companies, individuals, and organizations. ASQ is a founding partner of the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), a quarterly economic indicator.
Since 1989, ASQ has administered the annual Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. The ASQ also gives the Dorian Shainin Medal, which is awarded annually for the "Development and Application of Creative or Unique Statistical Approaches in the Solving of Problems Relative to the Quality of Product or Service".
ASQ offers a variety of professional certifications relating to various aspects of the quality profession. Exams are given nationally and, to a limited degree, worldwide several times annually. The body of knowledge for each certification is maintained through peer review every few years on a rotating schedule. The first ASQ certification was offered in 1968.
All certifications listed are from this reference unless noted.
|Year created||Certification||ASQ initials||Covers||Comments||Other reference|
|1968||Engineer||CQE||Principle of product and service, quality evaluation, and control.|||
|1970||Technician||CQT||Quality problem, analysis, inspection sampling plans and statistical process control applications.|||
|1972||Reliability Engineer||CRE||Principles of performance evaluation for product and system safety, reliability, and maintainability.||American Society for Quality Reliability Division|||
|1984||Inspector||CQI||Hardware documentation, lab, and calibration procedures, inspection, process performance, data collection, and reports.||Initially known as mechanical inspector.|||
|1987||Auditor||CQA||Standards and principles of auditing, questions, evaluations and reports for quality system adequacy.|||
|1995||Manager||CMQ/OE (CQM: 1995-2005)||Champions process improvement initiatives and supports strategic planning and deployment initiatives.||Changed to Certified Manager of Quality/ Organizational Excellence in 2006 to reflect the broader scope of the quality manager's position.|||
|1996||Software Quality Engineer||CSQE||Development of software processes, measurement, verification, and validation, analytical methods, and quality management.|||
|1996||CQA-HACCP||CHA since 2004||Developed to test applicants knowledge of the HACCP standards.||Changed to Certified HACCP Auditor in 2004.|||
|2000||Improvement Associate||CQIA||Designed to test basic knowledge of quality tools and their uses, along with involvement in quality improvement projects.|||
|2001||Six Sigma Black Belt||CSSBB||To demonstrate competency in Six Sigma methods.|||
|2002||CQA-biomedical||CBA since 2005.||Understands principles of standards, regulations, directives, and guidance for auditing a biomedical system.||Changed to Certified Biomedical Auditor in 2005.|||
|2003||Calibration Technician||CCT||Tests, maintains, and repairs electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, analytical, and electronic measuring/ recording equipment for conformance to established standards.|||
|2005||Process Analyst||CQPA||Paraprofessional who analyzes and solves quality problems and is quality improvement projects.|||
|2006||Six Sigma Green Belt||CSSGB||Paraprofessional who works with process development and documentation, collects, and summarizes data, and creates, and interprets multivar studies.|||
|2009||Pharmaceutical good manufacturing practices professional certification||CPGP||Tests applicant knowledge of principles as regulated and guided by national and international agencies.|||
|2010||Six Sigma Master Black Belt||CMBB||To demonstrate master competency in six sigma methodology.|||
|2016||Supplier Quality Professional||CSQP||Works with an organization's supply chain and suppliers to continuously improve the performance of key system components by implementing process controls and developing quality assurance plans.|||
In a 2008 press release for the 40th anniversary of ASQ's certifications, the three most popular were the engineer (CQE), followed closely by the auditor (CQA) and the Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB).
- "Shainin Medal - ASQ". Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- Newcomb, William O. "ASQ Certification: A Brief History". Quality Progress. January 2010. p. 43.
- American Society for Quality Certified Quality Engineer brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Quality Tehnician brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Reliability Engineer brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Quality Inspector brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Quality Auditor brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Software Quality Engineer borchure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified HACCP Auditor brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified Quality Improvement Associate brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified Six Sigma Black Belt brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified Biomedical Auditor brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified Calibration Technician brochure. - accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified Quality Process Analyst brochure – accessed 9 January 2010.
- American Society for Quality Certified Six Sigma Green Belt brochure – accessed 9 January 2010
- American Society for Quality Certified Pharmaceutical GMP Professional brochure – accessed 9 January 2010.
- "Quality Certification - Get Professionally Certified - ASQ". Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Certified Supplier Quality Professional - How To Become CSQP Certified | ASQ". asq.org. Retrieved 2017-05-18.