American Sociological Review
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Am. Sociol. Rev.|
|Edited by||Omar Lizardo, Rory McVeigh, and Sarah Mustillo|
Sage Publications (United States)
The American Sociological Review is a bimonthly peer-reviewed academic journal covering all aspects of sociology. It is published by Sage Publications on behalf of the American Sociological Association. It was established in 1936. The current editors-in-chief are Omar Lizardo, Rory McVeigh, and Sarah Mustillo (University of Notre Dame).
For its first thirty years, the American Sociological Society (now the American Sociological Association) was largely dominated by the sociology department of the University of Chicago, and the quasi-official journal of the association was Chicago's American Journal of Sociology. In 1935, the executive committee of the American Sociological Society voted 5 to 4 against disestablishing the American Journal of Sociology as the official journal of society, but the measure was passed onto for consideration of the general membership which voted 2 to 1 to establish a new journal independent of Chicago: the American Sociological Review.
Abstracting and indexing
American Sociological Review is abstracted and indexed in:
The following persons have been editors of the journal:
- F.H. Hankin (Smith College (1936–1937)
- Read Bain (Miami University (1938–1942)
- Joseph K. Folsom (Vassar College (1943–1944)
- F. Stuart Chapin and George B. Vold (University of Minnesota (1945–1946)
- Robert C. Angell (University of Michigan (1947–1948)
- Maurice R. Davie (Yale University (1949–1951)
- Robert E.L. Faris (University of Washington (1952–1955)
- Leonard Broom (University of California, Los Angeles (1956–1957)
- Charles Page (Smith College (1958–1960)
- Harry Alpert (University of Oregon (1961–1962)
- Neil J. Smelser (University of California, Berkeley (1963–1965)
- Norman Ryder (University of Wisconsin (1966–1968)
- Karl F. Schuessler (Indiana University (1969–1971)
- James F. Short, Jr. (Washington State University (1972–1974)
- Morris Zelditch (Stanford University (1975–1977)
- Rita J. Simon (University of Illinois, Urbana (1978–1980)
- William Form (University of Illinois, Urbana (1981)
- Sheldon Stryker (Indiana University (1982–1986)
- William Form (Ohio State University (1987–1989)
- Gerald Marwell (University of Wisconsin (1990–1993)
- Paula England (University of Arizona (1994–1996)
- Glenn Firebaugh (Pennsylvania State University (1997–2000)
- Charles Camic and Franklin Wilson (University of Wisconsin (2000–2003)
- Jerry Jacobs (University of Pennsylvania (2003–2006)
- Randy Hodson and Vincent Roscigno (Ohio State University (2006–2009)
- Larry W. Isaac and Holly J. McCammon, Vanderbilt University (2010-2015)
- "American Sociological Association: Notre Dame Sociologists to Lead American Sociological Association's Flagship Journal". www.asanet.org. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- Lengermann, Patricia Madoo (1979). "The Founding of the American Sociological Review: The Anatomy of a Rebellion". American Sociological Review 44 (2): 185–198. doi:10.2307/2094504. JSTOR 2094504.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Sociology". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.) (Thomson Reuters). 2015.