|Edited by||Arthur S. Alderson, Dina G. Okamoto|
SAGE Publications (United States)
|ISO 4||Am. Sociol. Rev.|
The American Sociological Review is a bi-monthly peer-reviewed academic journal covering all aspects of sociology. It is published by SAGE Publications on behalf of the American Sociological Association. It was established in 1936. The editors-in-chief are Arthur S. Alderson (Indiana University-Bloomington) and Dina G. Okamoto (Indiana University-Bloomington).
For its first thirty years, the American Sociological Society (now the American Sociological Association) was largely dominated by the sociology department of the University of Chicago, and the quasi-official journal of the association was Chicago's American Journal of Sociology.
In 1935, the executive committee of the American Sociological Society voted 5 to 4 against disestablishing the American Journal of Sociology as the official journal of society, but the measure was passed on for consideration of the general membership, which voted 2 to 1 to establish a new journal independent of Chicago: the American Sociological Review.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
The following persons have been editors-in-chief:
- F.H. Hankin (Smith College (1936–1937)
- Read Bain (Miami University (1938–1942)
- Joseph K. Folsom (Vassar College (1943–1944)
- F. Stuart Chapin and George B. Vold (University of Minnesota (1945–1946)
- Robert C. Angell (University of Michigan (1947–1948)
- Maurice R. Davie (Yale University (1949–1951)
- Robert E.L. Faris (University of Washington (1952–1955)
- Leonard Broom (University of California, Los Angeles (1956–1957)
- Charles Page (Smith College (1958–1960)
- Harry Alpert (University of Oregon (1961–1962)
- Neil J. Smelser (University of California, Berkeley (1963–1965)
- Norman Ryder (University of Wisconsin (1966–1968)
- Karl F. Schuessler (Indiana University (1969–1971)
- James F. Short Jr. (Washington State University (1972–1974)
- Morris Zelditch (Stanford University (1975–1977)
- Rita J. Simon (University of Illinois, Urbana (1978–1980)
- William Form (University of Illinois, Urbana (1981)
- Sheldon Stryker (Indiana University (1982–1986)
- William Form (Ohio State University (1987–1989)
- Gerald Marwell (University of Wisconsin (1990–1993)
- Paula England (University of Arizona (1994–1996)
- Glenn Firebaugh (Pennsylvania State University (1997–2000)
- Charles Camic and Franklin Wilson (University of Wisconsin (2000–2003)
- Jerry Jacobs (University of Pennsylvania (2003–2006)
- Randy Hodson and Vincent Roscigno (Ohio State University (2006–2009)
- Tony Brown, Katharine M. Donato, Larry W. Isaac, and Holly J. McCammon, Vanderbilt University (2010-2012)
- Larry W. Isaac and Holly J. McCammon, Vanderbilt University (2013-2015)
- Omar Lizardo, Rory M. McVeigh, and Sarah Mustillo, University of Notre Dame (2016-2020)
- Elisabeth Gayon (1985). "Guide documentaire de l'étudiant et du chercheur en science politique". In Madeleine Grawitz [in French]; Jean Leca [in French] (eds.). Traité de science politique (in French). Presses Universitaires de France. p. 305. ISBN 2-13-038858-2.
- "SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals".
- Lengermann, Patricia Madoo (1979). "The Founding of the American Sociological Review: The Anatomy of a Rebellion". American Sociological Review. 44 (2): 185–198. doi:10.2307/2094504. JSTOR 2094504.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Sociology". 2019 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2020.