American University of Nigeria
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Yola, Adamawa, Nigeria
American University of Nigeria (AUN) is a private university in northeastern Nigeria that offers American style higher education programs at the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels . Founded in 2004, it is the only American style university in Sub-Saharan Africa. AUN is accredited by the Nigerian National Universities Commissions.
Founded in 2004 by Atiku Abubakar, Nigeria's former vice president, the American University of Nigeria opened its doors to its first students in 2005. The university is located in northeastern Nigeria in Yola, the state capital of Adamawa state.
The university was originally named the ABTI American University of Nigeria before becoming the American University of Nigeria. AUN is the only American style institution of higher learning in sub-Saharan Africa (the only other such university in Africa is the American University in Cairo in Egypt). AUN is a member of the Association of American International Colleges and Universities and the Global Liberal Arts Alliance.
The university's current president, preceded by Dr. David Huwiler, Dr. Michael Smith, and Margee Ensign, is Dr. Dawn Dekle.
The university consists of five schools, offering the following undergraduate majors and graduate programs:
School of Arts and Sciences
- BSc Communications and Multimedia Design
- BSc Natural and Environmental Science
- BSc Petroleum Chemistry
- BA Economics
- BA International and Comparative Politics
- BA English Language and Literature
School of Business and Entrepreneurship
- BSc Business Administration (with specialties)
- BSc Accounting
- BSc Finance
- BSc Marketing
- BSc Management and Entrepreneurship
School of Law
LL.B (Bachelor of Laws)
School of Graduate Studies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MSc Business Administration
- PhD Business Administration
- Masters in Information Technology
- Masters in Telecommunications
- Masters of Information Systems Security Management
- MSc Computer Science
- MSc Information Systems
- PhD Computer Science
- PhD Information systems
School of Information Technology and Communications
- BSc Software Engineering
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Information Systems
- Telecommunications and Wireless Technologies
AUN is a residential campus situated on 2,400 hectares. It is home to approximately 1,400 undergraduate students and 87 faculty members.
Governance and Mission
When establishing the institution, the founder was primarily motivated by the desire to broaden the Nigerian educational space to accommodate new and alternative curriculum that may stimulate a more virile interrogation of our national challenges and provide a speedy channel of overcoming them. He wants to motivate young men and women with a creative and practical curriculum and student life that ignites the spirit of enterprise and innovation. AUN inspires its young citizens to look at our national problems head-on and confront them with practical solutions. He also wants to awaken the entrepreneurial spirit in our students so that when they finish their studies with us, they will be creating jobs and changing not just their families’ fortunes but the fortunes of other Nigerians. The university is a development university, focusing on practical role it feels "a great university must play in the development of a great nation" in addition to its traditional role as a repository, transmitter and creator of knowledge.
Members of the Board include:
- Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu of South Africa, who served as the commencement speaker at AUN's first graduation in May 2009
- Dr. John Campbell, former American ambassador to Nigeria
- Dr. Bamanga Tukur, president of the African Business Roundtable
- Dr. Louis Goodman, Emeritus Dean of the School of International Service at American University in Washington, DC
- Mr. Gabriele Volpi, managing director of Intels Oilfield, Port-Harcourt, Nigeria
- Alhaji Tajudeen Dantata, CEO of The Dantata Organization, Ltd.
- H.E. Prof. Gilbert Bukenya
- Prof. William Bertrand, co-founder of the Payson Center for International Development at Tulane University
- Vice Admiral D. J. Ezeoba, former Nigerian Chief of Naval Staff
- Bishop Matthew Kukah
- Dr. Anna Mokgokong
- Alhaji Adamu Abubakar
- Chief (Dr.) Mike Adenuga
- Dr. Peter Lewis
- Mr. Jon Freeman
- Mr. Ike Chioke
- Mr. Akin Kekere-Ekun is Chairman of the Board
- Dr. Dawn Dekle, President, American University of Nigeria
List of Presidents
- "The American University of Nigeria to Host 4th Annual Homecoming - Premium Times Nigeria". Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "National Universities Commission". www.nuc.edu.ng. Archived from the original on 2015-08-15. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Home". www.aaicu.org. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "Schools - American University of Nigeria". www.aun.edu.ng. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Facilities - American University of Nigeria". www.aun.edu.ng. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "ALA Presidential Citation for Innovative International Library Projects | International Relations Round Table (IRRT)". www.ala.org. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Mission - American University of Nigeria". www.aun.edu.ng. Retrieved 2015-08-07.