American University of Nigeria
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
American University of Nigeria (AUN) is a private university in northeastern Nigeria that offers the American style of higher education programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels . Founded in 2004, it is the first American-style university in Sub-Saharan Africa. AUN is accredited by the National Universities Commission.
Founded in 2004 by Atiku Abubakar, Nigeria's former vice president, American University of Nigeria enrolled its first students in 2005. The university is located in northeastern Nigeria in Yola, the state capital of Adamawa.
The university was originally named the ABTI American University of Nigeria. AUN is the first American-style institution of higher learning in sub-Saharan Africa (the only other such university in Africa is the American University in Cairo in Egypt). AUN is a member of the Association of American International Colleges and Universities and the Global Liberal Arts Alliance.
The university consists of six schools, offering the following undergraduate majors and graduate programs:
School of Arts and Sciences
- BSc Communications & Multimedia Design
- BSc Natural & Environmental Science
- BSc Petroleum Chemistry
- BA Economics
- BA Politics & International Studies
- BA English Language & Literature
School of Business & Entrepreneurship
- BSc Business Administration (with specialties)
- BSc Accounting
- BSc Finance
- BSc Marketing
- BSc Management & Entrepreneurship
School of Law
- LL.B (Bachelor of Laws)
School of Engineering
- BEng Chemical Engineering
- BEng Computer Engineering
- BEng Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- BEng Systems Engineering
- BEng Telecommunication Engineering
School of Information Technology & Communications
- BSc Software Engineering
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Information Systems
- Telecommunications & Wireless Technologies
School of Graduate Studies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MSc Business Administration
- PhD Business Administration
- Masters in Information Technology
- Masters in Telecommunications
- Masters of Information Systems Security Management
- MSc Computer Science
- MSc Information Systems
- PhD Computer Science
- PhD Information Systems
AUN is a residential campus situated on 2,400 hectares. It is home to approximately 1,400 undergraduate students and 87 faculty members.
Members of board
- Mr. Akin Kekere-Ekun Chairman
- Dr. William Bertrand Vice-chairman
- Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah Vice-chairman
- Dr. Louis Goodman
- Ambassador John Campbell
- Dr. Enyantu Ifenne
- Mr. Ike Chioke
- Dr. Gilbert Bukenya
- Mr. Jon Freeman
- Admiral Dele Ezeoba (rtd.)
- Dr. Usman Bugaje
- Dr. Kevin Quigley
- Mr. Peter Okocha
- Dr. Peter Lewis
- Dr. Magdalyne Dura
- Alhaji Tajuddeen Dantata
- Alhaji Usman Wurochekke
- Dr. Dawn Dekle AUN President/member ex-officio
List of Presidents
- "The American University of Nigeria to Host 4th Annual Homecoming - Premium Times Nigeria". Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "National Universities Commission". www.nuc.edu.ng. Archived from the original on 2015-08-15. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Home". www.aaicu.org. Archived from the original on 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "Schools - American University of Nigeria". www.aun.edu.ng. Archived from the original on 2015-08-14. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "Facilities - American University of Nigeria". www.aun.edu.ng. Archived from the original on 2015-08-14. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- "ALA Presidential Citation for Innovative International Library Projects | International Relations Round Table (IRRT)". www.ala.org. Retrieved 2015-08-07.
- Brotherton, Phaedra (2 December 2004). "American University Assists Nigeria In Establishing U.S.-Style University". Diverse: Issues In Higher Education. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
...AU has designated Dr. David Huwiler, the former president of the American University of Central Asia (AUCA) as the first president of AAUN.
- Anderson, Dan (25 February 2010). "Former Elon faculty member named president of The American University of Afghanistan". Elon University. Retrieved 5 March 2018.