American patriotism is patriotism involving cultural attachment of Americans to the United States of America as their homeland.[not in citation given] Maurizio Viroli distinguishes patriotism (emphasizing ideas and values) and nationalism (commitment to nation). Ralph Waldo Emerson described the United States as an "asylum of all nations". Official American values were laid out in the Declaration of Independence that emphasized human rights, such as declaring that "all men are created equal", that people have "inalienable rights", and that people have the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". American patriotism has also focused on the principles and values of the Constitution of the United States.
- American exceptionalism
- American imperialism
- American nationalism
- American Revolution
- American Theocracy
- Americanism (ideology)
- Teachout 2009, p. 230.
Teachout, Woden (2009). Capture the Flag: A Political History of American Patriotism. New York: Basic Books. p. 230. ISBN 9780786744763. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
[...] patriotism can be viewed in terms of two basic categories. The first is a sentiment that privileges commitment to ideas and values, usually humanitarian, over commitment to nation; the second is a sentiment that seeks to promote one's nation politically, socially, or economically within the context of other nations. Maurizio Viroli's For Love of Country (New York: Oxford University Press, 1995) [...] defined these two categories as, respectively, patriotism and nationalism.
- Michael O. Emerson, Rodney M. Woo. People of the dream: multiracial congregations in the United States. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2006. p. 176.
- Teachout 2009, p. 5.
- Müller, Jan-Werner (2007). Constitutional patriotism. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. p. 7. ISBN 0691118590.
- George McKenna (2008). The Puritan Origins of American Patriotism. Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-13767-2.
- Jeremy Latchaw (2009). American Patriotism Through the Eyes of an Eagle. Xulon Press. ISBN 978-1-60791-485-3.
- American Patriotism: American Ideals in the Words of America's Great Men. Allyn and Bacon. 1926.
- John E. Bodnar (1996). Bonds of Affection: Americans Define Their Patriotism. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-04396-5.
- Woden Teachout (2009). Capture the Flag: A Political History of American Patriotism. Basic Books. ISBN 978-0-7867-4476-3.
- June Granatir Alexander (2008). Ethnic Pride, American Patriotism: Slovaks And Other New Imiigrants. Temple University Press. ISBN 978-1-59213-780-0.