Promotional artwork of Americop for Thunderbolts: Desperate Measures
|First appearance||Captain America vol. 1 #428 (June 1994)|
|Created by||Mark Gruenwald (writer)
Dave Hoover (artist)
|Alter ego||Bartholomew "Bart" Gallows|
|Team affiliations||Houston Police Department|
|Abilities||Formidable martial artist and strategist
Carries pistols, a baton and a fixed blade tactical knife
Wears Kevlar body armor, a ballistic facemask and a customized cap
Drives a gimmicked pickup truck
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2017)
Fictional character biography
Bart Gallows was born in Sugar Land, Texas and later became a police officer in Houston, Texas. Disillusioned at the law's inability to protect society from crime, he resigned from the force and became a vigilante named 'Americop'.
He travels across America and uses a police scanner to track down criminals. He is not above executing the criminals he thinks deserve it. He sometimes takes money from the drug-trafficking criminals he battles. When he does so, he keeps half and donates the rest to drug rehabilitation programs. Americop finds himself in conflict with Captain America while trying to bring down a child exploitation ring. Captain America is appalled by his brutality.
Americop's investigation led him to the New Orleans mansion of indestructible munitions magnate Damon Dran. Although initially subdued by a gas grenade attack and imprisoned alongside Captain America, he manages to break free. During the fight he kills several of Dran's mercenaries. During the resulting fight, he shoots down Dran's helicopter. Americop believes Dran died during the crash when the criminal in fact survived.
Norman Osborn sends Penance and Bullseye to battle Americop, with the secret hope the vigilante will kill them both, as they have not been worth the trouble. Instead, they crash the vigilante's truck and Bullseye causes Penance to unleash his stored-up energy. This fries 80 percent of Americop's synaptic nerve endings.
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Powers and abilities
- A formidable martial artist and strategist, Americop carries .45 caliber pistols, a baton and a fixed blade tactical knife
- He wears bulletproof Kevlar body armor, a ballistic facemask and a customized cap which doubles as a throwing weapon. His costume includes a device that absorbs ambient electrical energy and uses it to increase his strength to low-superhuman levels.
- His pickup truck has a roof-mounted lightbar, police siren, public address system and bulletproof armor and windows.
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z Vol.1
- Captain America (1st series) #428
- Captain America (1st series) #429
- Captain America (1st series) #430
- Thunderbolts: Desperate Measures
- Nick Spencer (w), Daniel Acuña (p), Daniel Acuña (i), Daniel Acuña (col), VC's Joe Caramagna (let), Tom Brevoort (ed). Captain America: Sam Wilson #12 (17 August 2016), United States: Marvel Comics
- All New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe HC #1