|Traded as||NYSE: ABC
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||Merger between AmeriSource Health and Bergen Brunswig in 2001|
|Headquarters||Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Richard C. Gozon
Steven H. Collis
(President), (CEO) & (Director)
|Products||Pharmaceuticals and pharmacy services|
|Revenue||US$135.9 billion (2015)|
|US$386 million (2015)|
|US$-134 million (2015)|
|Total assets||US$27.73 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||US$633 million (2015)|
Number of employees
AmerisourceBergen Corporation is an American drug wholesale company that was formed by the merger of Bergen Brunswig and AmeriSource in 2001. They provide drug distribution and related services designed to reduce costs and improve patient outcomes, distribute a line of brand name and generic pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter (OTC) health care products and home health care supplies and equipment to a wide variety of health care providers located throughout the United States, including acute care hospitals and health systems, independent and chain retail pharmacies, mail-order facilities, physicians, clinics and other alternate site facilities, as well as skilled nursing and assisted living centers. They also provide pharmaceuticals and pharmacy services to long-term care, workers' compensation and specialty drug patients.
AmerisourceBergen is a market leader in pharmaceutical distribution handling about 20% of all of the pharmaceuticals sold and distributed throughout the country and ranked 16th on the Fortune 500 list for 2015 with over $100 Billion in annual revenue. In terms of revenue (79.49 billion in 2012) the firm is the largest based in Pennsylvania.
AmerisourceBergen was formed in 2001 following the merger of AmeriSource Health Corporation and Bergen Brunswig Corporation. AmeriSource and Bergen were both successful pharmaceutical distributors that served similar markets but covered somewhat different geographies. Bringing the two together gave the company a strong national presence that was geared especially towards serving independent community pharmacies, regional retail chain pharmacies, hospitals, physician offices, clinics and other alternate care facilities.
AmerisourceBergen has 26 pharmaceutical distribution centers in the US, nine distribution centers in Canada, four specialty distribution centers in the US, and over 1 million square feet of packaging production capacity in the US and the UK. With the addition of World Courier, the largest specialty courier company in the world, over 150 company-owned offices around the globe were added to the company.
In 2012 the state of West Virginia filed a lawsuit against AmerisourceBergen On 5/17/2015, the West Virginia Gazette reported, "AmerisourceBergen, the nation’s third largest drug wholesaler, shipped 80.3 million hydrocodone pills and 38.4 million oxycodone pills to West Virginia over the five-year span — the highest totals for both drugs by any company named in the state’s lawsuit, according to the filing. and that "The lawsuit alleges that the companies have helped fuel the state’s pain pill epidemic by shipping excessive amounts of prescription painkillers to southern West Virginia pharmacies."
AmerisourceBergen operates its pharmaceutical distribution business under four primary units: AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation (ABDC), AmerisourceBergen Specialty Group (ABSG), AmerisourceBergen Consulting Services (ABCS) and World Courier. In March 2016 Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. announced it would exercise an option to purchase 22.7 million shares of AmerisourceBergen stock and thereby control 15% of the company.
Good Neighbor Pharmacy
Good Neighbor Pharmacy is an American retailers' cooperative network of more than 3,400 independently owned and operated pharmacies. It has a business affiliation with AmerisourceBergen, which sponsors the network and owns the name "Good Neighbor Pharmacy" Good Neighbor Pharmacy is the sponsor for "Thought Spot" the annual trade show held in Las Vegas.
Exhibitors are represented throughout the healthcare industry including, brand name, generic and over the counter products. ThoughtSpot 2013 was hosted at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas from July 24 to July 27. Special guest musical performance by Bret Michaels capped off the week on July 27 at a special attendee-only closing event.
KnowledgeDriven is a resource site sponsored by AmerisourceBergen.
- "Annual Report 2015". AmerisourceBergen Corp. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "AmerisourceBergen, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Aug 30, 2001". secdatabase.com. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "AmerisourceBergen - Fortune 500 2015". Fortune 500 2015. Fortune. Archived from the original on June 2015. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- AmerisourceBergen: The biggest Pennsylvania company you never heard of, by David Sell, Philadelphia Inquirer, July 15, 2012
- "Eight area companies make Fortune 500". Philadelphia Business Journal. May 28, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Jon Kamp (27 June 2012). "West Virginia Sues Drug Distributors in Pill-Abuse Fight". WSJ. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Charleston Gazette-Mail - Drug firms shipped 40M pain pills a year to WV". Charleston Gazette-Mail. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- Leeclaire, George (2016-03-18). "Walgreens Boots buys bigger stake in AmerisourceBergen". Associated Press. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- "Events". AmerisourceBergen. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Retail Management Solutions to Attend The AmerisourceBergen ThoughtSpot 2015 Conference and Trade Show". PRWeb. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "About". Retrieved 23 January 2016.
Companies Amerisoursebergen acquestions sinse 2001?