This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||NYSE: ABC|
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||Merger between AmeriSource Health and Bergen Brunswig in 2001|
|Headquarters||Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Richard C. Gozon|
Steven H. Collis
(President), (CEO) & (Director)
|Products||Pharmaceuticals and pharmacy services|
|Revenue||US$167.93 billion (2018)|
|US$1.44 billion (2018)|
|US$1.65 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||US$37.66 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||US$2.93 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
AmerisourceBergen Corporation is an American drug wholesale company that was formed by the merger of Bergen Brunswig and AmeriSource in 2001. They provide drug distribution and related services designed to reduce costs and improve patient outcomes, distribute a line of brand name and generic pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter (OTC) health care products and home health care supplies and equipment to a wide variety of health care providers located throughout the United States, including acute care hospitals and health systems, independent and chain retail pharmacies, mail-order facilities, physicians, clinics and other alternate site facilities, as well as skilled nursing and assisted living centers. They also provide pharmaceuticals and pharmacy services to long-term care, workers' compensation and specialty drug patients.
AmerisourceBergen is a market leader in pharmaceutical distribution handling about 20% of all of the pharmaceuticals sold and distributed throughout the country and ranked 12th on the Fortune 500 list for 2018 with over $153 billion in annual revenue. In terms of revenue (79.49 billion in 2012) the firm is the largest based in Pennsylvania.
AmerisourceBergen was formed in 2001 following the merger of AmeriSource Health Corporation and Bergen Brunswig Corporation. AmeriSource and Bergen were both successful pharmaceutical distributors that served similar markets but covered somewhat different geographies. Bringing the two together gave the company a strong national presence that was geared especially towards serving independent community pharmacies, regional retail chain pharmacies, hospitals, physician offices, clinics and other alternate care facilities.
AmerisourceBergen has 26 pharmaceutical distribution centers in the US, nine distribution centers in Canada, four specialty distribution centers in the US, and over 1 million square feet of packaging production capacity in the US and the UK. With the addition of World Courier, the largest specialty courier company in the world, over 150 company-owned offices around the globe were added to the company.
AmerisourceBergen is among several distributors that have been sued by West Virginian governments for contributing to the Opioid epidemic, by shipping inordinate amounts of pain medication into the state.
On January 3, 2018, AmerisourceBergen acquired H. D. Smith, the largest privately-held national pharmaceutical wholesaler in the U.S.
For the fiscal year 2017, AmerisourceBergen reported earnings of US$364 million, with an annual revenue of US$153.144 billion, an increase of 4.3% over the previous fiscal cycle. AmerisourceBergen's shares traded at over $84 per share, and its market capitalization was valued at over US$18.9 billion in October 2018.
in mil. USD$
in mil. USD$
in mil. USD$
|Price per Share
AmerisourceBergen operates its pharmaceutical distribution business under four primary units: AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation (ABDC), AmerisourceBergen Specialty Group (ABSG), AmerisourceBergen Consulting Services (ABCS) and World Courier. In March 2016 Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. announced it would exercise an option to purchase 22.7 million shares of AmerisourceBergen stock and thereby control 15% of the company.
Good Neighbor Pharmacy
Good Neighbor Pharmacy is an American retailers' cooperative network of more than 3,400 independently owned and operated pharmacies. It has a business affiliation with AmerisourceBergen, which sponsors the network and owns the name "Good Neighbor Pharmacy." Good Neighbor Pharmacy is the sponsor for "Thought Spot" the annual trade show held in Las Vegas.
Exhibitors are represented throughout the healthcare industry including, brand name, generic and over the counter products. ThoughtSpot 2013 was hosted at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas from July 24 to July 27. Special guest musical performance by Bret Michaels capped off the week on July 27 at a special attendee-only closing event.
KnowledgeDriven is a resource site sponsored by AmerisourceBergen.
- "US SEC: Form 10-K AmerisourceBergen" (PDF). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved March 28, 2018.
- "AmerisourceBergen, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Aug 30, 2001". secdatabase.com. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "AmerisourceBergen". Fortune. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- AmerisourceBergen: The biggest Pennsylvania company you never heard of, by David Sell, Philadelphia Inquirer, July 15, 2012
- "Eight area companies make Fortune 500". Philadelphia Business Journal. May 28, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "AmerisourceBergen Added to S&P 500 index". Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "AmerisourceBergen Acquires World Courier". www.worldcourier.com. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Higham, Scott; Bernstein, Lenny (March 9, 2017). "Opioid distributors sued by West Virginia counties hit by drug crisis". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Jon Kamp (June 27, 2012). "West Virginia Sues Drug Distributors in Pill-Abuse Fight". WSJ. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- "Drug firms shipped 40M pain pills a year to WV". Charleston Gazette-Mail. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- "AmerisourceBergen Completes Acquisition of HD Smith". www.amerisourcebergen.com. Retrieved September 25, 2018.
- "What Is AmerisourceBergen and Why Does Walgreens Want to Buy It?". Fortune. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "Financial Reports | AmerisourceBergen Corporation". AmerisourceBergen Corporation. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- Leeclaire, George (March 18, 2016). "Walgreens Boots buys bigger stake in AmerisourceBergen". Associated Press. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Events". AmerisourceBergen. Archived from the original on May 25, 2016. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- "Retail Management Solutions to Attend The AmerisourceBergen ThoughtSpot 2015 Conference and Trade Show". PRWeb. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved 2013-06-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "About". Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- Official website
- Business data for AmerisourceBergen: