|Motto||Live, Learn and Succeed Together|
|Chairman of Governors||Nigel Davies|
|Location||Stanely Hill Avenue
|DfE URN||137343 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Colours||Navy and Sky Blue|
Amersham School is a mixed secondary school in Amersham, Buckinghamshire. In September 2011, the school became an Academy. It takes children from the age of 11 through to the age of 18 and has approximately 850 pupils.
The examination results at Amersham School have risen dramatically over the last five years, with 70% of pupils achieving at least five GCSEs at grades A*-C in 2010. 50% of pupils achieved five GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Mathematics.[when?] A Level and BTEC results are also at an all-time high, with a 98% pass rate and 67% of grades at A-C.[when?]
Amersham School is an upper school, and half the children who live locally pass the 11+ and go to grammar schools. In light of this data, Amersham School is performing well above national averages.[when?]
As is common with many other schools, Amersham School operates a two-year Key Stage 3. This allows three years for GCSE study, through a staged approach, and allows for a more personalised curriculum including a variation of qualifications on offer, personalised to suit the mixed ability students.
The school is over-subscribed for entries in Year 7 and has a large sixth form.[when?]
The school opened on its current site in 1964, although at that time it was the Brudenell County Secondary School for girls. Following the opening of the girls' school, the Raans County Secondary School, which had opened in 1956 as a mixed school, became a boys' school. In 1988, Raans Secondary School merged with Brudenell School, to become the Amersham School, the Raans site, however, remained open for a further year for lessons for the new school's pupils. Notable alumni include Olympic Athlete Nicola Sanders.
The main entrance includes the cafeteria, an entrance to the hall and the main office.
- A block includes 2 maths rooms and 2 English rooms.
- B block includes 2 maths rooms and 2 English rooms.
- C block includes 5 I.T. rooms.
- D block includes 2 art rooms, a kitchen and an English room..
- E block includes 7 science rooms and 2 preparation rooms.
- F block includes the finance office and the headteacher's office.
- G block includes the music rooms, the drama studio and the old gym.
- J block includes humanity rooms for history, geography and religious studies.
- L block includes an I.T. room, reflection room and multiple English rooms.
- M block includes 2 MFL rooms and 2 humanity rooms.
- T block includes a Graphic Design room, a Resistant Materials room, a practical room and an ICT room.
- S block includes 2 sports classrooms, a dance studio, a fitness suite and the sports hall.
- "URN 137343 Amersham School". Edubase/DfE. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Governance". Amersham School. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- "Open academies map and schools submitting applications". Department for Education. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Schools Directory". Buckinghamshire County Council. Retrieved 2006-08-02.
- "Specialist Schools Home". DfES. July 2006. Archived from the original on 3 August 2006. Retrieved 2006-07-28.
- "Raans Secondary School, Amersham: Schools in Amersham". Schooletc.co.uk. 1988-08-31. Retrieved 2017-02-15.