Ames was founded in 1883.
A post office was opened in Shirley in 1868 (also known as Elm Creek, it is now part of Shirley Township averages a population of 40), but the post office was moved to Ames in 1878 and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1993.
Ames is part of the Clifton-Clyde Unified School District 224. The school district includes Clifton, Clyde, Vining, Ames, St. Joseph, and nearby rural areas of Clay, Cloud, Washington counties. The district has three schools:
- Clifton-Clyde Senior High School, located in Clyde.
- Clifton-Clyde Middle School, located in Clifton.
- Clifton-Clyde Grade School, located in Clifton.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ames, Kansas
- Hollibaugh, E. F. (1903). Biographical History of Cloud County, Kansas: Biographies of Representative Citizens. Illustrated with Portraits of Prominent People, Cuts of Homes, Stock, Etc. Wilson, Humphrey & Company. p. 880.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- USD 224
|This article about a location in Cloud County, Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|