amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research
|Motto||Making AIDS History|
|Merger of||AIDS Medical Foundation
National AIDS Research Foundation
|Legal status||Research charity|
|Headquarters||New York, NY|
|Mathilde Krim, Ph.D.|
|Patricia J. Matson
John C. Simons
|Kenneth Cole (Chair)
Michael J. Klingensmith
Mathilde Krim, Ph.D.
Patricia J. Matson
Vincent A. Roberti
Wallace Sheft, C.P.A.
Mervyn F. Silverman, M.D., M.P.H.
John C. Simons
|Mission||amfAR identifies critical gaps in our knowledge of HIV/AIDS, and supports promising early-stage studies that often lack the preliminary data required by more traditional funders.|
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, (AMerican Foundation for Aids Research) is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education, and the advocacy of AIDS-related public policy.
In the early 1980s, a group of researchers and scientists including Mathilde Krim, Ph.D., then a researcher at New York's Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, formed an informal study group to investigate the condition that came to be known as AIDS. In 1983, Dr. Krim, Dr. Joseph Sonnabend, Michael Callen, and several others launched the New York-based AIDS Medical Foundation. In Los Angeles, Dr. Michael S. Gottlieb and Elizabeth Taylor spearheaded the creation of the National AIDS Research Foundation. The two organizations merged in September 1985 to become american foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR). The merged organization was launched with a $250,000 contribution from Rock Hudson shortly before his AIDS-related death in October 1985.
At a charity event held at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc, during the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, amfAR raised over $25 million in one night, with help of movie stars, and models, including Uma Thurman, and Karlie Kloss, and Milla Jovovich.
As an advocate of evidence-based AIDS-related public policy, amfAR works to secure necessary increases in funding for HIV/AIDS research, implement the new national HIV/AIDS strategy, expand access to care and treatment, and protect the civil rights of all people affected by HIV.
- "Form 990" (PDF). amfAR Investors Relations. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Leadership". amfAR. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Leadership: Board of Trustees". amfAR. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Grant Thorton, LLP. "Financial Statements Together with Report of Independent Certified Public Accountants" (PDF). Investor Relations. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Wallace Sheft, C.P.A. [About amfAR]". amfar.org. amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Geidner, Chris (February 2, 2015). "Nancy Reagan Turned Down Rock Hudson's Plea For Help Nine Weeks Before He Died". BuzzFeed News. BuzzFeed. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Celebrities Raise More Than $25 Million at amfAR's Gala in Cannes". The New York Times. 2016-05-20. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report, Volume Number 59, December 2011
- Charity Navigator Rating - amfAR