AmiZilla was an ongoing project sponsored by DiscreetFX which tried to port the Mozilla Firefox browser - and other Mozilla projects - to AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS, and to fund efforts for achieving that goal.
There were certain rules for AmiZilla project to be accomplished by those developers, who wanted to achieve the full prize bounty. The main rule was the fact, that AmiZilla should be an open source port of any of the Mozilla/Firefox browsers to AmigaOS and other Amiga-inspired platforms (MorphOS and AROS).
Results of the AmiZilla project
The only team, which officially announced to work on the bounty, created a public Sourceforge source code repository, but only a few developers joined and not very much source code was committed. So the project died before it could reach any results.
Despite of its apparent lack of success, the AmiZilla Bounty Project inspired many bounty systems that were created upon AmiZilla's example.
Other AmigaOS Firefox Projects
A separate effort to port Firefox to AmigaOS 4 was started in early 2009 and still ongoing. It is named "Project Timberwolf". Screen shots and more information about Timberwolf was made public in November 2009, some days before AmiZilla project was closed abruptly, and then, on June 9, 2010, an alpha release of Timberwolf was made available for free download on pages the Project Timberwolf site. A beta of Timberwolf for AmigaOS 4.1 came out on February 16, 2012.
- "Announce of starting of AmiZilla Project at Amigaworld.net site". DiscreetFx and AmigaWorld.net site. Retrieved May 19, 2003.
- "Announcement on OSNews.com stating on May 20, 2003 that AmiZilla Project collected 3000 dollars". OSNews. Retrieved May 20, 2003.
- "Announcement on Mozillazine (and update of 11 june)". MozillaZine online news magazine. Archived from the original on June 10, 2003. Retrieved June 7, 2003.
- "Slashdot news corner on June 11". Slashdot magazine and The Rest , Geeknet, Inc. Archived from the original on July 5, 2003. Retrieved June 11, 2003.
- "Page of Donors at AmiZilla Project site". DiscreetFx. Archived from the original on August 1, 2008. Retrieved August 10, 2008.
- "Announce of ending of AmiZilla Project at Amigaworld.net site". DiscreetFx and AmigaWorld.net site. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- "AmiZilla Guidelines". Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Amizilla". Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Announce of Timberwolf Alpha 1 Release". Thomas Frieden and Hans-Joerg Frieden. Archived from the original on July 3, 2010. Retrieved June 9, 2010.