2 August 1935
|Died||19 September 2013 (aged 78)|
Hamidou Benmessaoud (Arabic: حميدو بنمسعود; 2 August 1935 – 19 September 2013), best known as Amidou, was a Moroccan-French film, television, and stage actor.
Amidou is probably best known for his association with director Claude Lelouch, with whom he has shot eleven films, including the Lelouch's film debut Le propre de l'homme (1960). He made his debut in a Maroccan film in 1969, starring in Soleil de printemps directed by Latif Lahlou. His career includes roles in Spaghetti Westerns like Buddy Goes West and several American productions, including William Friedkin's Sorcerer, John Frankenheimer's Ronin and John Huston's Escape to Victory.
In 1969, Amidou was awarded best actor at the Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival for his role in Life Love Death by Claude Lelouch, later he won best actor awards at the Cairo Film Festival (for Pursuit by Leila Triquie) and at the Tangier Film Festival (for Rachid Boutounes' Here and There). In 2005, he received at the hands of Martin Scorsese a Lifetime Career Award at the International Film Festival of Marrakech. He was also the first Moroccan actor to have won an acting award at the National Conservatory of Dramatic Art.
- Le propre de l'homme (1961)
- Une fille et des fusils (1965) - Himself
- The Grand Moments (1965) - Roger Amy
- Brigade antigangs (1966) - Nez Cassé
- Live for Life (1967) - Un photographe
- Fleur d'oseille (1967) - Francis
- La Fille d'en face (1968) - Le dragueur
- La Chamade (1968) - Etienne
- Life Love Death (1969) - François Toledo
- Soleil de printemps (1969)
- Le Voyou (1970) - Bill
- Comptes à rebours (1971) - Macyas
- Smic Smac Smoc (1971) - Amidou dit Smoc
- La Poudre d'escampette (1971) - Ali - le patron du bateau tunisien
- Trois milliards sans ascenseur (1972) - José
- What a Flash! (1972) - Bit part (uncredited)
- La Punition (1973) - Raymond
- La Valise (1973) - Le lieutenant Abdul Fouad
- Rosebud (1975) - Kirkbane
- Sorcerer (1977) - Kassem - 'Martinez'
- Buddy Goes West (1981) - Girolamo / Eagle Eye
- Escape to Victory (1981) - Andre - The French
- Les P'tites Têtes (1982) - Le Prince Douzami
- Afghanistan pourquoi ? (1983)
- La Nuit porte-jarretelles (1985)
- Adieu Blaireau (1985) - Poupée
- Champagne amer (1986) - Slim
- Cartel de Radjani (1989) - Le Kabyle
- There Were Days... and Moons (1990) - The incredulous policeman
- La Belle Histoire (1992) - Le berger
- Day of Atonement (1992) - Si Ali
- Unveiled (1994) - Det. Brahms
- Lalla Hobby (1996) - Haj Moussa
- Soleil (1997) - Mokzar
- Ronin (1998) - Man at Exchange
- Hideous Kinky (1998) - Sufi Sheikh
- Rules of Engagement (2000) - Dr. Ahmar
- Spy Game (2001) - Dr. Ahmed - Beirut
- Joséphine, ange gardien (2001) - Farid (1 Episode)
- And Now... Ladies and Gentlemen... (2002) - Police Inspector
- Heaven's Doors (2006) - Mansour
- Moussem lamchaoucha (2009) - Haj Lamfadel
- Comme les cinq doigts de la main (2010) - Lakdar
- "Décès de Hamidou Benmassoud :Amidou, premier acteur marocain à s'être fait un nom à l'international". Aufait Moroc (in French). 20 September 2013. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Amidou, comédien fétiche de Lelouch, est décédé". Le Figaro (in French). 20 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Rebecca Chaouch (21 September 2013). "Décès de l'acteur marocain Hamidou Benmessaoud". Huffington Post (in French). Retrieved 22 September 2013.
|This article about a film actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Moroccan actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|