Amin Abu Rashid
|Amin Abu Rashid
(aka Amin Abu-Ibrahim)
|Born||1966/1967 (age 49–50)|
According to a U.S. government exhibit and other sources, Rashid was a member of the Al-Aqsa Foundation in Rotterdam. In 2009, the Palestine News Network reported that Rashid was the Secretary General of the Popular Forum in the Netherlands. In December 2009, Middle East Monitor described him as the head of a delegation from the Conference of Palestinians in Europe.
Role in Gaza-bound flotillas
De Telegraaf reported in June 2011 that Rashid had arranged financing and the purchase of a ship for the flotilla, and trained with the crew. As a second flotilla was being formed in June 2011, Israeli Public Affairs and Diplomacy Minister Yuli Edelstein said that:
The participation of Hamas member Amin Abu Rashid in the flotilla, who is known for fundraising money for Hamas terror operations, is clear proof that this is not a humanitarian flotilla, but a provocation and a terror operation in disguise of a flotilla. In the previous flotilla, Abu Rashid expressed his intentions to clash with IDF soldiers and we must take into account that this will be his intention in the current flotilla.
- "European campaign denies reports by some media that President Abbas is working against them". Palestine News Network. July 11, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "M.O. Due terroristi a bordo della nave turca Mavi Marmara". l'Occidentale. June 11, 2010. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Roiphe, Anne (June 30, 2011). "'Hamas leader is brain behind Dutch flotilla'". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Ronen Bergman (June 11, 2010). "'Israel freed top terrorists caught on flotilla'". Ynetnews. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- US v. Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, et al. Exhibit 001-0357, as cited by "The Influence of the Muslim Brotherhood in the Netherlands", NEFA Report, 2007.
- Olmer, Bart. "Moslimclub op terreurlijst", De Telegraaf, 27 April 2011 (in Dutch)
- Quds Press (December 30, 2009). "European supporters of Gaza ask their embassies in Cairo for help to get to the Strip". Middleeastmonitor.org.uk. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Roiphe, Anne (June 30, 2011). "Edelstein: Hamas member in flotilla shows intent to provoke". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved July 1, 2011.