|Nationality||Canadian / American|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Thesis||The Canadian face of Islam: Muslim communities in Toronto (2001)|
|Discipline||Islam, interfaith dialog|
|Institutions||California State University, Northridge
Loyola Marymount University
Amir Hussain is a scholar of religion who specializes in the study of Islam. His most recent book is Muslims and the Making of America, published in 2016 by Baylor University Press. From 2011 to 2015 he was the editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Religion, which is the flagship journal for the study of religion. He is also on the editorial boards of three other scholarly journals for the study of religion. In 2005, he joined the Department of Theological Studies at Loyola Marymount University, the Jesuit university in Los Angeles. He has done significant publishing work with Oxford University Press, including editing the fourth editions of two of their main textbooks, World Religions: Western Traditions and World Religions: Eastern Traditions, and the third edition of A Concise Introduction to World Religions. Professor Hussain is also a senior editor for religion for Oxford Handbooks Online. He has written numerous scholarly articles on Islam and Muslims, and is recognized as an authority on Islam in North America. He is a fellow of the Los Angeles Institute for the Humanities.
Born in Lahore, Pakistan, and raised in Toronto, Canada, he received a Ph.D. and M.A in the study of religion from the University of Toronto. Before moving to LMU, he taught as an Associate Professor of Religious Studies at California State University, Northridge.
A proponent of interfaith dialogue, Professor Hussain has published over 50 scholarly articles or book chapters on Islam and Muslims. He has lectured in academic arenas around the world, and appeared on several television programs, most notably Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher and The Tavis Smiley Show.
- Oil and Water: Two Faiths, One God, (Wood Lake Books, 2006)
- World Religions: Western Traditions, fourth edition (Oxford University Press, 2014)
- World Religions: Eastern Traditions, fourth edition (Oxford University Press, 2014)
- A Concise Introduction to World Religions, third edition (Oxford University Press, 2015)
- Muslims and the Making of America, (Baylor University Press, 2016)
- Amir Hussain (2012-12-04). "Oxford Journals | Humanities | Jnl of the American Academy of Religion". Jaar.oxfordjournals.org. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "About Our Faculty". Bellarmine.lmu.edu. Archived from the original on 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "World Religions | The late Willard G. Oxtoby and Amir Hussain | 9780195427172 | Oxford University Press Canada". Oupcanada.com. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Religion Oxford Handbooks Online". Oxfordhandbooks.com. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "USC Libraries :: Los Angeles Institute for the Humanities". Usc.edu. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Amir Hussain's Web Page". Myweb.lmu.edu. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- TV.com (2001-09-26). "Politically Incorrect - Season 9, Episode 18: Lynn Redgrave, Robert Young Pelton, Eric McCormack, Amir Hussain". TV.com. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- webmaster. "Tavis Smiley - Amir Hussain/Catherine Russell". KET. Retrieved 2013-01-18.