|Born||February 15, 1984|
|Other names||The Sphinx|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||85 kg (187 lb; 13.4 st)|
|Fighting out of||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
Amir "The Sphinx" Zeyada (born February 15, 1984) is an Egyptian-Dutch cruiserweight Muay Thai kickboxer currently fighting out of the Chakuriki Gym in Amsterdam, Netherlands, where he is trained by Thom Harinck. He is a former Dutch national champion who originally started fighting as a middleweight. Zeyada holds two notable knockout victories over the highly rated Tyrone Spong.
Amir started off fighting at C and B-Klass level in the Netherlands. He got his first major victory when he faced fellow prospect (and future multiple world champion) Tyrone Spong in 2002, defeating the young Spong in somewhat bizarre fashion, with Spong knocking himself out after slamming Zeyada to the floor after a clinch. In 2005 Amir would win his first title, defeating Abder Bechiri in Zaandam to win the World Kickboxing Network (W.K.N.) Dutch title by knockout in the first round.
As Dutch champion, Zeyada was signed to the newly created SuperLeague, a European-based promotion which aimed to bring highly competitive fights to the continent, potentially rivaling K-1, which would give Amir the chance to fight some of the top kickboxers in the world. He won his first match with the organization outclassing French champion Karim Aliouane on his debut at SuperLeague Portugal 2005 to win via decision. Despite the promising opening, Zeyada would have limited success within SuperLeague, finishing with a losing record of two wins and three defeats by the time of the organizations demise in 2006.
After the demise of SuperLeague, Amir made his debut with the blossoming It's Showtime organization at the start of 2007, taking part in an eight-man preliminary tournament in Zwolle, where he made the semi finals only to lose to eventual winner Karapet Papijan. The next month he had a long-awaited rematch against Tyrone Spong at a Rings event in Utrecht. Amir had defeated Spong back in 2002 at B-Klass level but Spong was now far more experienced fighter, and a European and world champion to boot. Tyrone dominated Amir for the first two rounds of their match getting a knockdown in the second and being far the superior fighter. However, Amir came back in the third knocking Spong down with a huge left hand and swarmed the pre-match favourite, knocking him down again en route to a TKO victory.
Since the second Spong victory Amir's career has failed to really take off, losing a Dutch title fight on his K-1 debut and making an unsuccessful bid for the World Full Contact Association (W.F.C.A.) European title against holder Imro Main in 2008 as he has moved up through the divisions. In 2010 he had a shot at the vacant E.M.T.A. European title, losing to Murthel Groenhart by TKO. In 2011 he had arguably his biggest fight to date, showing great heart but ultimately coming up short in a five round battle against Sahak Parparyan for the vacant It's Showtime 85MAX world title.
- 2005 World Kickboxing Network Dutch national champion
51 Wins (20 (T)KOs), 20 Losses, 2 Draws
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
- "amir versus tyrone #1 (Fight Video)". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Amir Zeyada become Dutch Champion - Chakuriki Pancration". pancration.net. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "AMIR ZEYADA IN SUPERLEAQUE (Dutch language - also mentions early career fights)". www.kickbox.nl. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Battlefield Portugal was paved with Land Mines! (Fight Report)". www.superleague.tv. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Superleague Fighter details - Amir ZEYADA". www.superleague.tv. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Photo Report: It's Showtime Trophy 02/02/2007 Zwolle (Dutch Language)". www.mixfight.nl. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "for Tyrone spong fans - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums". www.sherdog.net. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "Amir Zeyada vs Imro Main (European title fight - Dutch language)". www.kickbox.nl. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- "a.s. Zondag Murthel Groenhart vs Amir Zeyada (Dutch language)". www.mixfight.nl. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- SUPERKOMBAT WGP IV in Giurgiu Card Announced
- Super Kombat Giurgiu set for October 12
- Weekend Results: SuperKombat WGP Giurgiu