|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia|
|Assumed office |
December 19, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Ellen Segal Huvelle|
Amit Priyavadan Mehta
1971 (age 47–48)
Patan, Gujarat, India
|Education||Georgetown University (B.A.)|
University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.)
Amit Priyavadan Mehta (born 1971) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Raised in Reisterstown, Maryland, Mehta graduated in 1989 from Franklin High School. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1993 from Georgetown University, graduating Phi Beta Kappa. He received a Juris Doctor in 1997 from the University of Virginia School of Law, graduating Order of the Coif. He served as an associate at the law firm of Latham & Watkins from 1997 to 1998, leaving to clerk for Judge Susan P. Graber of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from 1998 to 1999. He served as an associate at the law firm of Zuckerman Spaeder, LLP. from 1999 to 2002, and then as a staff attorney at the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia from 2002 to 2007. From 2007 to 2014 he rejoined Zuckerman Spaeder, serving as partner from 2010 to 2014. He represented clients in civil and criminal matters before state and federal courts.
Federal judicial service
On July 31, 2014, President Obama nominated Mehta to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, to the seat vacated by Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle, who took senior status on June 3, 2014. He received a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary on September 17, 2014. On November 20, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On Saturday, December 13, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On December 16, 2014, Reid withdrew his cloture motion on Mehta's nomination, and the Senate proceeded to vote to confirm Mehta in a voice vote. He received his federal judicial commission on December 19, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Official Biography at Zuckerman Spaeder Archived August 8, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Mehta, Amit Priyavadan – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Don. "THE WHITE HOUSE NOMINATIONS SENT TO THE SENATE: Allison Dale Burroughs, Amit Priyavadan Mehta,". Don411.com Media :: Performing Arts News Unabridged. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Meeting – Hearings & Meetings – United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". 17 September 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting – November 20, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary" (PDF).
- Amit Mehta at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Amit Priyavadan Mehta at Ballotpedia
Ellen Segal Huvelle
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia