|Indian emissary to G20|
|Assumed office |
8 July 2022
|Preceded by||Piyush Goyal|
|2nd CEO of NITI Aayog|
17 February 2016 – 30 June 2022
|Preceded by||Sindhushree Khullar|
|Succeeded by||Parameswaran Iyer|
|Born||1 March 1956|
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
Amitabh Kant (born 1 March 1956) is an Indian bureaucrat and was the second chief executive officer of NITI Aayog, a public policy think tank of the Government of India. He is a retired member of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), the central civil service of the Government of India. He was appointed as India's G20 Sherpa during its presidency.
Amitabh Kant was born on 1 March 1956. He first studied at Modern School, Delhi, graduated with a degree in Economics (Hons.) from St. Stephen's College, Delhi and earned an M.A. in International Relations from Jawaharlal Nehru University. He was a Chevening Scholar.
Kant began his Indian Administrative Service career in the Kerala cadre, working as sub collector of Thalassery. India Today's High & Mighty rankings of 2019 featured Kant as one of the most powerful people in India under the category of "The Supercrats - India's Top Bureaucrats" along with other bureaucrats such as Nripendra Misra and Ajit Doval. Currently, he is an Indian delegate at the G20.
In December 2020, Kant attracted controversy after remarking at a public event, organized by Swarajya magazine, that enacting "tough reforms" were hard in India, since it is "too much of a democracy".
- "India's startup movement is fast gaining momentum: Amitabh Kant". ETtech.com. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant's tenure extended by one year". The Hindu. 2021-06-29. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2021-07-23.
- "Did you know these 6 top office holders in India went to the same college?". India Today. 17 December 2018.
- "Tourism Tales with Amitabh Kant". www.braingainmag.com. Retrieved 2021-07-23.
- "Chief Executive Officer".
- "Reviving Nostalgic Memories: DIPP secretary Amitabh Kant's journey to Tellicherry, his first posting". Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "The most powerful people of India 2019 - Full list". India Today. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- "Amitabh Kant set to be India's G20 sherpa". Hindustan Times. 2022-07-08. Retrieved 2022-10-14.
- "令和５年秋の外国人叙勲 受章者名簿" (PDF). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved November 3, 2023.
- "'Tough Reforms Difficult in India, We Are Too Much of a Democracy,' Says Niti Aayog CEO". The Wire. Retrieved 2022-09-20.
- "Why Niti Aayog CEO's statement is a warning to the people". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2022-09-20.
- "Niti Aayog's Kant denies saying India is 'too much of a democracy', Twitter users share event clip". Scroll.in. Retrieved 2020-12-09.
- "Hindustan Times withdraws report on Niti Aayog CEO's 'too much democracy' comment". Newslaundry. Retrieved 2020-12-09.
- Media related to Amitabh Kant at Wikimedia Commons