|Born||May 11, 1992|
|Origin||Nabha, Punjab, India|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actor, stage performer|
|Website||Ammy Virk on Facebook|
Ammy Virk (Amrinderpal Singh Virk) is a Punjabi singer, film actor and producer owning his production house under name “Villagers Film Studios”. He is considered as one of the best Punjabi Singer and actor critically and commercially. He is best known for playing role of Nikka in Nikka Zaildar (film series), Shivjit in Qismat and Haakam in Angrej.
He started his singing career with a single track which proved to be a very popular track. Later on he did other songs like "Yaar Amli" and "Jatt Da Sahara" which popularized him in Punjabi music industry all over the world. His first album "Jattizm" was released in 2013 which got the best album of the year award in PTC Music Awards.
He started his acting career with role of Hakam in the super hit Punjabi movie Angrej co-starring Amrinder Gill in 2015 for his role in the film he won Best Debut Actor Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards. Also, he had starred in some other super-hit films like Bambukat, Ardaas, Nikka Zaildar, Laung Laachi and Qismat. He is known for his Patiala-Shahi turban. His films Angrej and Qismat are fifth and sixth highest grossing Punjabi films of all time respectively.
Ammy was born in Jat Sikh family as Amrinderpal Singh Virk on 11 May 1992. In an interview with The Tribune he said, "It was my mother who told me that I should try singing. I have learnt it. I am a singer because of my mother and I love her for having faith in me." He would have been a doctor as he had done M. Sc in Biotechnology.
|2011||Chandigarh Diyan Kudian||Speed Records||Bhinda Auijla||7|
|2013||Jattizm||Lokdhun Punjabi||Gupz Sehra||12|
|2018||Background||Speed Records||Mix Singh|
|Year||Song||Music Director||Video Director|
|2013||Ikk Pal||Gupz Sehra|
|2014||Bullet vs Chammak Challo||Gupz Sehra|
|2015||Zindabaad Yaarian||Gupz Sehra|
|2016||Haan Kargi||Gupz Sehra||Navjit Buttar|
|2016||Surma To Sandals||B Praak|
|2016||Hassian Khedian||Mr Wow||Sukh Sanghera|
|2017||Akh Teri Baaz Wargi||Aman Hayer|
|2017||Skid||Desi Dark Child|
|2017||Doomna - Lok Tath||Mr Wow|
|2017||Friday Booked||B Praak|
|2017||Qismat||B Praak||Arvindr Khaira|
|2017||Time Boliyan||Deep Jandu|
|2018||Hath Chumme ||B Praak||Arvindr Khaira|
Virk started his film career with Angrej produced by Rhythm Boyz Entertainment released in 2015. He played the role of Haakam which shows a negative role. His role was appreciated by audience and critics alike. Jasmine Singh of The Tribune said, “Angrej is also the ground for singer Ammy Virk, who opens his innings here. If it were just looks, the singer gets a five on five; as far as dialogue delivery goes, there is more work that needs to be done. All the same, he makes his character look and sound real.” Also, he won Best Debut Actor Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards for his role in the film. The film was commercially blockbuster as it is fifth highest grossing Punjabi film of all time.
In 2016, his second film Ardaas directed by Gippy Grewal was released clashing with Love Punjab. The film was multi-starrer including Gurpreet Ghuggi, Rana Ranbir and many others. In the film he played supporting role of Agyapal Singh(Aasi) which was also appreciated by critics and audience. Divya Pal of News18 said, “It is interesting to see how the film’s supporting actors serve up strong performances. Ammy Virk is suitably striking as Aasi [...]” Uttam of Punjabi Teshan said, “[...] Ammy Virk has improved so much, he acted like a good theatre artist. [...]” Later in July, his film Bambukat was released being his second collaboration with Rhythm Boyz Entertainment. The film was directed by Pankaj Batra and was Virk's first film as a lead Actor. Gurlove Singh of BookMyShow said, "Ammy Virk is a revelation. He has proven that he chooses his scripts carefully. [...] he packs a solid punch in Bambukat. He has definitely grown as an actor. He is exceptional in the emotional scenes. [...] your heart goes out to Channan, and that’s only because of Ammy Virk’s effective portrayal." He won Best Actor Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards shared with Amrinder Gill for his role of "Channan Singh" in the film and Best Actor Critics Award at Filmfare Awards Punjabi shared with Gurpreet Ghuggi. In September, he played in and as Nikka Zaildar directed by Simerjit Singh. The romantic comedy was commercially hit which lead to the formation of sequels.
In 2017, he started with playing a special appearance in the Tarsem Jassar's starrer Rabb Da Radio song "Akh Boldi". In May, his thriller film Saab Bahadur directed by Amrit Raj Chadha was released. Jasmine Singh of The Tribune, said "Now, it’s time for the Saab Bahadur to come in- Punjabi singer-actor Ammy Virk plays the real cop, the Saab Bahadur in the film [...] he nails it this time too." Gurlove Singh of BookMyShow said, "There’s no denying the fact that Ammy Virk is the heart and soul of Saab Bahadar. He is portraying the titular role and has introduced us to a new brand of cop with his spellbinding performance. He enacts his character with earnestness and authenticity. He is brilliant in every frame and charges assertively through the film. His portrayal of Saab Bahadar stamps the fact that he is one of the most sought-after actors of Punjabi film industry these days." The film was critically praised but commercially it was not that good.
You can't experiment much. If you make an experimental film in Punjab, then I don't think it will work right now as the market is not that big. If the market grows, then more type of genres like action and suspense can also do well.
|2015||Angrej||Haakam||Won Best Debut Actor Award|
|2016||Bambukat||Channan Singh||Won Best Actor Award shared with Amrinder Gill|
|2016||Nikka Zaildar||Nikka/Yadwinder||with Sonam Bajwa|
|2016||Dil Wali Gal||Ammy||A short film by Filmy Shots on YouTube|
|2017||Rabb Da Radio||Singer||Special appearance in song "Akh Boldi"|
|2017||Saab Bahadar||Saab Bahadar||With Preet Kamal|
|2017||Nikka Zaildar 2||Nikka||With Sonam Bajwa Wamiqa Gabbi|
|2017||Sat Shri Akaal England||Major German Singh Mann||With Monica Gill|
|2018||Laung Laachi ||Ajaypal||With Neeru Bajwa|
|2018||Qismat||Shivjit Singh Gill||With Sargun Mehta|
|2019||Muklawa||Sardar Wala aka Deepa||With Sonam Bajwa|
Releasing on 3 May 2019
|2019||Nikka Zaildar 3||Nikka Zalidar/Mr. Singh||Relealisng On 21 June 2019|
|2016||Kawa Wali Panchait||Ardaas|
|2016||Rakhi Soneya Ve|
|2016||Mini Cooper||Nikka Zaildar|
|2016||Lagdi Na Akh|
|2017||Record Bolde||Jugni Hath Kise Na Auni||DJ Flow|
|2017||Kali Jotta||Nikka Zaildar 2||Gurmeet Singh|
- Singh, Jasmine (21 March 2014). "PUNJABI TADKA: Mom's the word". The Tribune (Chandigarh). Archived from the original on 26 July 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Ammy Virk's 'Surma to Sandle' all set to be released". The Times of India. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Punjabi singer Ammy Virk enthralled the audience". The Tribune, Chandigarh, India. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Service, Tribune News (12 August 2015). "Angrej is also the ground for singer Ammy Virk, who opens his innings here". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "But now, the new demand is to replicate the style of budding Punjabi singer Ammy Virk". hindustantimes.com. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Qismat Is A Blockbuster - Top Punjabi Films Worldwide - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Ammy Virk New Punjabi Song Hath Chumme". PunjabiPollywood.com.
- "Love-ly-lanes". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2016 Winners list". timesofinidia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "'Ardaas' review: Gippy Grewal's directorial venture is a heartfelt film with nuanced performances". News18. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Ardaas Punjabi Movie Review – Gippy Grewal – Gurpreet Ghuggi – Ammy Virk". Punjabi Teshan. 2016-03-12. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Bambukat Movie Review, Trailer and Story - BookMyShow". in.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2017| Winners| Nominations| Categories". PunjabDreamz. 2017-04-25. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Winners of the Jio Filmfare Awards (Punjabi) 2017". filmfare.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Saab Bahadur: Bond with the best". tribuneindia.com.
- "Saab Bahadar: Film Review - A Perfect Murder Mystery". in.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- IANS (2018-07-08). "Can't experiment much in Punjabi films: Ammy Virk". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "In Punjab, Comedy And Family-based Movies Work Well, Says Ammy Virk". News18. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Ammy Virk, Jyoti Sethi feature in Filmy Shots 'Dil Wali Gal'". 23 April 2016.
- "Dil Wali Gal (HD) - Ammy Virk, Jyotii Sethi, Harinder Bhullar". Filmy Shots. 24 May 2016.
- "Laung Laachi Cast, Crew Details". DeeduKnowAll.