Ammy Virk in 2019
Amninderpal Singh Virk
May 11, 1992
|Website||Ammy Virk on Facebook|
Amninderpal Singh Virk, better known as Ammy Virk, is an Indian singer, actor and producer owning his production house under name Villagers Film Studio and a distribution company In House Group. He is best known for playing the role of Nikka in Nikka Zaildar series, Shivjit in Qismat, Harjeet Singh in Harjeeta, and Haakam in Angrej.
He started his singing career with a single track which went on to become very popular. Later on, he did other songs including "Yaar Amli" and "Jatt Da Sahara" which popularized him in the Punjabi music industry globally. His first album "Jattizm" was released in 2013 which got the "Best Album of The Year" award in PTC Music Awards. His most popular song is “Qismat” which was released in 2017, after which a film was titled.
He started his acting career with the role of Hakam in the historical romance Punjabi film Angrej (2015) for which he won Best Debut Actor Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards. Also, he had starred in some other successful films like Bambukat, Ardaas, Nikka Zaildar, Laung Laachi and Qismat. Gurnaaz Kaur of The Tribune described Virk as Nikka as one of the most loved characters of Punjabi cinema. He is known for his Patiala-Shahi turban. His films Angrej and Qismat are one of the highest grossing Punjabi films of all time. He is making his Bollywood debut with film 83 (2020) directed by Kabir Khan based on 1983 Cricket World Cup.
Virk was born Amninderpal Singh Virk on 11 May 1992. In an interview with The Tribune he said, "It was my mother who told me that I should try singing. I have learnt it. I am a singer because of my mother and I love her for having faith in me."
|2011||Chandigarh Diyan Kudian||Speed Records||Bhinda Auijla||7|
|2013||Jattizm||Lokdhun Punjabi||Gupz Sehra||12|
|2014||"Bullet vs Chammak Challo"|
|2016||"Surma To Sandals"|
|2016||"Lagdi Na Akh"|
|2017||"Akh Teri Baaz Wargi"|
|2017||"Doomna - Lok Tath"|
|2018||"Pasand Jatt Di"|
|2020||"Jaan Deyan Ge"|
Virk started his film career with Angrej produced by Rhythm Boyz Entertainment released in 2015. He played the role of Haakam which shows a negative role. His role was appreciated by audience and critics alike. Jasmine Singh of The Tribune said, “Angrej is also the ground for singer Ammy Virk, who opens his innings here. If it were just looks, the singer gets a five on five; as far as dialogue delivery goes, there is more work that needs to be done. All the same, he makes his character look and sound real.” Also, he won Best Debut Actor Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards for his role in the film. The film was commercially blockbuster as it is fifth highest grossing Punjabi film of all time.
In 2016, his second film Ardaas directed by Gippy Grewal was released clashing with Love Punjab. The film was multi-starrer including Gurpreet Ghuggi, Rana Ranbir and many others. In the film he played supporting role of Agyapal Singh(Aasi) which was also appreciated by critics and audience. Divya Pal of News18 said, “It is interesting to see how the film’s supporting actors serve up strong performances. Ammy Virk is suitably striking as Aasi [...]” Uttam of Punjabi Teshan said, “[...] Ammy Virk has improved so much, he acted like a good theatre artist. [...]” Later in July, his film Bambukat was released being his second collaboration with Rhythm Boyz Entertainment. The film was directed by Pankaj Batra and was Virk's first film as a lead Actor. Gurlove Singh of BookMyShow said, "Ammy Virk is a revelation. He has proven that he chooses his scripts carefully. [...] he packs a solid punch in Bambukat. He has definitely grown as an actor. He is exceptional in the emotional scenes. [...] your heart goes out to Channan, and that’s only because of Ammy Virk’s effective portrayal." He won Best Actor Award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards shared with Amrinder Gill for his role of "Channan Singh" in the film and Best Actor Critics Award at Filmfare Awards Punjabi shared with Gurpreet Ghuggi. In September, he played in and as Nikka Zaildar directed by Simerjit Singh. The romantic comedy was commercially hit which lead to the formation of sequels.
In 2017, he started with playing a special appearance in the Tarsem Jassar's starrer Rabb Da Radio song "Akh Boldi". In May, his thriller film Saab Bahadar directed by Amrit Raj Chadha was released. Jasmine Singh of The Tribune, said "Now, it’s time for the Saab Bahadur to come in- Punjabi singer-actor Ammy Virk plays the real cop, the Saab Bahadur in the film [...] he nails it this time too." Gurlove Singh of BookMyShow said, "There’s no denying the fact that Ammy Virk is the heart and soul of Saab Bahadar. He is portraying the titular role and has introduced us to a new brand of cop with his spellbinding performance. He enacts his character with earnestness and authenticity. He is brilliant in every frame and charges assertively through the film. His portrayal of Saab Bahadar stamps the fact that he is one of the most sought-after actors of Punjabi film industry these days." The film was critically praised but commercially it was not that good.
You can't experiment much. If you make an experimental film in Punjab, then I don't think it will work right now as the market is not that big. If the market grows, then more type of genres like action and suspense can also do well.
In September 2017, his film Nikka Zaildar 2 sequel to Nikka Zaildar was released. The film was set in bygone era and upon its release was announced HIT by Box Office India. Jasmine Singh of The Tribune said, "Actor-singer Ammy Virk melts into his character, just like he did in Nikka Zaildar. With a line of hits to his credit, Ammy is only growing as an artiste. He has a bang on comic timing, and the same can be said about his emotional scenes." Later, in December Sat Shri Akaal England was released. In the film Virk played role of Major German Singh Mann. The film was not critically and commercially successful but Virk's performance was appreciated. Manjit Singh of Santa Banta said, "Ammy is a natural actor who doesn't require any much effort to bring out his best."
In 2018, he started Laung Laachi with a negative supporting role of Ajaypal Singh. The film was written and directed by Amberdeep Singh also he starred in the film as a lead Actor. The film was commercially successful and also the one of highest grossing Punjabi films of 2018. Later, in May Harjeeta was released. The film was based on Harjeet Singh a hockey player who served as captain for Indian Hockey Team and won World Cup. Jasmine Singh of The Tribune praising his performance said, "It is hard not to notice the actor’s hard work, whether it is adopting the real Tuli’s young looks, his mannerism and his style. Ammy delivers an award winning performance. Ammy has taken to the character like chalk and cheese."
In September, a blockbuster Qismat was released. The film was named after a song sung by himself only because similarity in lead cast, crew and emotions. The film was written and directed by Jagdeep Sidhu. In the film Virk played role of Shivjit Singh Gill opposite to Sargun Mehta in the film. His performance in the film was most appreciated than all his other performances. The film was praised by audience and critics alike. Commercially, it was blockbuster with worldwide collections more than ₹30 crore. Also, the film is sixth highest grossing Punjabi film of all time and second highest grossing Punjabi film of 2018. Gurlove Singh of BookMyShow said, "Qismat belongs to Ammy Virk and Sargun Mehta. They are the heart and soul of the movie. They both give equally good, well-balanced and superlative performances. You cannot help but fall in love with their on-screen chemistry. They make you smile and cry a number of times in those two hours. It’s hard to believe anyone else portraying Shivjit and Bani’s roles." Jasmine Singh of The Tribune also praised lead cast, saying, “Ammy Virk and Sargun Mehta share a strong onscreen chemistry. Ammy, makes every word he says achievable in real life. He is one effortless actor who can make the audiences laugh, cry and now, believe in true love. Sargun Mehta’s, currently one of the most talented female actresses of the industry, effortless acting and her girl-next-door image make her stand out from the entire lot.”
In 2019, his films Muklawa and Nikka Zaildar 3 were released. In Muklawa he co-starred with Sonam Bajwa for the third time after Nikka Zaildar and Nikka Zaildar 2. The film was directed by Simerjit Singh and produced by White Hill Studios. Also, in the same year his Chhalle Mundiyaan was released and Guddiyan Patole starring Gurnam Bhullar on other hand produced by him.
He is also making debut in Bollywood with film 83 directed by Kabir Khan. The film is based on the life of Indian cricket player Kapil Dev. Virk will play the role of fast bowler Balwinder Sandhu. Later, he also signed another Bollywood film Bhuj co-starring Sanjay Dutt, Sonakshi Sinha, Rana Daggubati, Parineeti Chopra and Ajay Devgn. He will play role of a fighter pilot.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2015||Angrej||Haakam||Won Best Debut Actor Award|
|2016||Bambukat||Channan Singh||Won Best Actor Award shared with Amrinder Gill|
|2016||Dil Wali Gal||Ammy||A short film by Filmy Shots on YouTube|
|2017||Rabb Da Radio||Singer||Special appearance in song "Akh Boldi"|
|2017||Saab Bahadar||Kuldeep Singh/Saab Bahadar|
|2017||Nikka Zaildar 2||Nikka|
|2017||Sat Shri Akaal England||Major German Singh Mann|
|2018||Laung Laachi ||Ajaypal|
|2018||Qismat||Shivjit Singh Gill|
|2018||Aate Di Chidi||Singer||Special appearance in song "Muchh"|
|2019||Nikka Zaildar 3||Nikka Zaildar|||
|2020||83||Balwinder Sandhu||1983 CWC win, Releasing on 10 April 2020|
|2020||Bhuj: The Pride of India||Flight officer||Filming, Releasing on 14 August 2020|
|2016||"Kawa Wali Panchait"||Ardaas|
|2016||"Badla Lena"||Dulla Bhatti|
|2016||"Rakhi Soneya Ve"|
|2016||"Mini Cooper"||Nikka Zaildar|
|2016||"Lagdi Na Akh"|
|2017||"Record Bolde"||Jugni Hath Kise Na Auni|
|2017||"Akh Boldi"||Rabb Da Radio|
|2017||"Kali Jotta"||Nikka Zaildar 2|
|2017||"Vekh Ke Hasdi"||Manje Bistre|
|2017||"Jatt Da Kaleja"||Sat Shri Akaal England|
|2018||"Pasand Jatt Di"||Qismat|
|2018||"Akhiyaan Naar Diyan"|
Awards and nominations
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2016||Angrej||PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Best Debut Actor||Won|
|2017||Bambukat||Best Playback Singer (male)||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Won(shared with Amrinder Gill)|
|Filmfare Awards Punjabi||Best Actor (critics)||Won|
|Nikka Zaildar||Best Playback Singer (male)||Nominated|
|2018||Nikka Zaildar 2||PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Best Playback Singer (male)||Won|
|Filmfare Awards Punjabi||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Best Playback Singer (male)||Nominated|
|Brit Asia Film Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Best Playback Singer (male)||Nominated|
|2019||Manmarziyaan||Screen Award for Best Male Playback||Nominated|
|FC Film Club Awards||Best Song "Daryaa"||Won|
|Reel Movie Awards||Best Playback Singer (Male)||Won|
|Qismat||Brit Asia TV Awards||Best Male Playback Vocalist||Nominated|
|Laung Laachi||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Nominated|
|Best Playback Singer (Male)||Nominated|
- Singh, Jasmine (21 March 2014). "PUNJABI TADKA: Mom's the word". The Tribune (Chandigarh). Archived from the original on 26 July 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Ammy Virk's 'Surma to Sandle' all set to be released". The Times of India. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Punjabi singer Ammy Virk enthralled the audience". The Tribune, Chandigarh, India. 8 April 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Service, Tribune News (12 August 2015). "Angrej is also the ground for singer Ammy Virk, who opens his innings here". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Kaur, Gurnaaz (20 September 2019). "Movie Review - Nikka Zaildar 3: It's laugh riot". The Tribune. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "But now, the new demand is to replicate the style of budding Punjabi singer Ammy Virk". hindustantimes.com. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Qismat Is A Blockbuster - Top Punjabi Films Worldwide - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Singer Ammy Virk To Star As Balvinder Singh Sandhu In '83". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "Ammy Virk New Punjabi Song Hath Chumme". PunjabiPollywood.com.
- "Love-ly-lanes". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2016 Winners list". timesofinidia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "'Ardaas' review: Gippy Grewal's directorial venture is a heartfelt film with nuanced performances". News18. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Ardaas Punjabi Movie Review – Gippy Grewal – Gurpreet Ghuggi – Ammy Virk". Punjabi Teshan. 2016-03-12. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- "Bambukat Movie Review, Trailer and Story - BookMyShow". in.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2017| Winners| Nominations| Categories". PunjabDreamz. 2017-04-25. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Winners of the Jio Filmfare Awards (Punjabi) 2017". filmfare.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Saab Bahadur: Bond with the best". tribuneindia.com.
- "Saab Bahadar: Film Review - A Perfect Murder Mystery". in.bookmyshow.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- IANS (2018-07-08). "Can't experiment much in Punjabi films: Ammy Virk". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "In Punjab, Comedy And Family-based Movies Work Well, Says Ammy Virk". News18. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Nikka Zaildar 2 Is A HIT - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- Singh, Jasmine (2017-09-23). "Nikka nails it, yet again!". Tribune India.
- "Review: 'Sat Shri Akaal England' - A poor ripped-off version of 'Namastey London'". www.santabanta.com. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- Singh, Jasmine (2018-05-18). "Straight pass to the goal post". Tribune India.
- Singh, Jasmine. "Qismat and also veykhi main". tribuneindia.com.
- "Qismat Is A Blockbuster - Top Punjabi Films Worldwide - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
- "[Review] Qismat: Grab Some Tissues Because This Film Is Definitely A Tearjerker!". BookMyShow. 2018-09-21. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "[Review] Qismat: Love and loads of luck". The Tribune. 2018-09-21. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Punjabi singer-actor Ammy Virk to play Balwinder Singh Sandhu in Kabir Khan's '83 | Bollywood News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "Punjabi Star Ammy Virk to Make Bollywood Debut as Cricketer Balwinder Singh Sandhu in World Cup Movie". News18. Retrieved 2019-01-24.
- "Sanjay Dutt, Sonakshi Sinha, Rana Daggubati, Parineeti and Ammy Virk join Ajay Devgn in Bhuj". mid-day. 2019-03-20. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "Bhuj: The Pride of India full cast revealed! Parineeti Chopra, Sanjay Dutt, Rana Daggubati, Sonakshi Sinha, Ammy Virk join Ajay Devgn | Bollywood News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "Ammy Virk, Jyoti Sethi feature in Filmy Shots 'Dil Wali Gal'". 23 April 2016.
- "Dil Wali Gal (HD) - Ammy Virk, Jyotii Sethi, Harinder Bhullar". Filmy Shots. 24 May 2016.
- "Laung Laachi Cast, Crew Details". DeeduKnowAll. Archived from the original on 2018-03-08. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Nikka Zaildar 3: Here's a sneak peek into the set of the Ammy Virk starrer - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "Bhuj: The Pride of India goes on floors in Hyderabad; Sanjay Dutt starts shooting for war drama". Firstpost.com. 25 June 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- FC, Team (2019-04-01). "FC Film Club Award Winners". Film Companion. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "REEL Movie Awards 2019: Ammy Virk and Shahid Mallya Win Best Playback Singer for Daarya". News18. Retrieved 2019-03-27.