Love Strange Love
|Love Strange Love|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Walter Hugo Khouri|
|Produced by||Anibal Massaini Neto|
|Written by||Walter Hugo Khouri|
|Music by||Rogério Duprat|
|Edited by||Eder Mazzini|
Love Strange Love (Portuguese: Amor Estranho Amor) is a 1982 Brazilian erotic drama film written and directed by Walter Hugo Khouri. The film stars Vera Fischer, Tarcísio Meira and Xuxa Meneghel. Fischer won the Best Actress Award at the 15th Festival de Brasília as well as the Air France Award.
The story involves an adult man's recollection of a short period of his life in 1937. That year, on the eve of a key political change in Brazil, a 12-year-old boy is sent to live in a bordello. The bordello's owner, the favorite woman of an important politician, is also the child's mother. In those hours, he discovers his own sexuality.
- Vera Fischer as Anna
- Tarcísio Meira as Dr. Osmar
- Xuxa Meneghel as Tamara
- Íris Bruzzi as Laura
- Walter Forster as Hugo (Adult)
- Marcelo Ribeiro as Hugo (Child)
- Mauro Mendonça as Dr. Benicio
The movie is considered controversial by some because it contains two nude scenes where the libertine character, played by Xuxa Meneghel, has a sexual encounter with a 12-year-old boy.
At the time of the film's release, it was rumoured that famous soccer player Pelé (who was Xuxa's boyfriend back then) used his influence in an effort to ban the film and delete the footage. Xuxa was later to become one of the most popular host of television programs for children and animators of Latin America. Under an agreement, Xuxa pledged to make annual payments of $60,000 so that Cinearte would not distribute the film again.
In 2013 a Brazilian court banned the sale of the film, because of the scene where Xuxa appears naked kissing with a 13-year-old boy. Judge Claudio de Mello Tavares, of the Rio de Janeiro Court of Justice, rejected an appeal by Cinearte, which wanted to re-issue the film, because he considered the previously mentioned agreement made between the two parties continues to hold to prevent the film from being re-released.
|Year||Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|1982||Candango Trophy||Best Actress||Vera Fischer||Won|
|Air France||Best Actress||Vera Fischer||Won|
- "Amor Estranho Amor" (in Portuguese). Cinemateca Brasileira. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- Miller, Rick (January 13, 1993). "She's Coming To America". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- Love Strange Love at Rotten Tomatoes
- "Festival de Brasília do Cinema Brasileiro - Os Vencedores do Festival" (in Portuguese). Secretaria de Estado de Cultura. Archived from the original on July 2, 2008. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Campos, Jesse. "Xuxa Precisa Chorar". Bragança Jornal. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- Brazilian court banned Xuxa's erotic movie "Love Strange Love" 2013-02-05, The Clinic Online (Spanish)