Amphitheater High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
|Amphitheater High School|
|125 West Yavapai Road
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Amphitheater Public Schools|
|Campus||Urban, 50.74 acres (205,337 m²)|
Kelly green, white, black
|Website||Amphitheater High School|
Amphitheater High School, also known as Amphi High, is a public high school, located in central Tucson, Arizona, United States. Amphi is the flagship high school of Amphitheater Public Schools of Tucson, and serves grades 9–12. The school mascot is the panther, and the school colors are kelly green and white. Amphi opened in 1939 as the second high school in Tucson, and has a student enrollment of 1,249. In the 1983-84 school year, it was honored as a Blue Ribbon school.
Its feeder schools are Amphi Middle and La Cima Middle.
In addition to winning the state title in 1975 and then again in 1979, Amphi is notable for its football program. Vern Friedli, the former football coach, won more varsity games than any other football coach in Arizona history. At the conclusion of the 2009-10 season, Friedli captured his record-breaking 317th win. He retired after the 2011-12 season with 331 wins.
- Michael Bates (1989), 1992 Olympic bronze medal-winning sprinter and five-time Pro Bowl kick returner in the NFL
- Mario Bates (1991), American football running back in the NFL for the New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, and the Detroit Lions.
- Erubiel Durazo (1993), MLB Baseball Player. Durazo played for the Arizona Diamondbacks (1999–2002) where he won the 2001 World Series, and the Oakland Athletics (2003–2005).
- Riki Ellison (formerly Riki Gray) Football Player, USC Trojans, SF 49ers, LA Raiders
- George Gray (1985), TV host of The Price Is Right (2011–present).
- Savannah Guthrie (1989), NBC news anchor and Legal correspondent
- Alex Kellner, Former MLB player (Philadelphia Athletics, Cincinnati Reds, Saint Louis Cardinals)
- Walt Kellner, Former MLB player (Philadelphia Athletics)
- James Penton (c. 1950), author on religious history, and university professor
- "Amphitheater High School Overview". U.S. News: Best High Schools. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Blue Ribbon Schools Program Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002" (PDF). National Blue Ribbon Schools Program. United States Department of Education. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "George Gray". The Price is Right. FreeMantle Media. Retrieved 8 December 2014.