|Birth name||Ashley Charles|
|Born||9 April 1988|
|Origin||South London, England|
|Genres||Hip hop, grime|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, DJ, radio presenter, TV presenter|
A.Dot (born Ashley Charles; 9 April 1988), also known as Amplify Dot or Dotty, is a rapper and broadcaster from South London, England. She has been a radio presenter on BBC Radio 1Xtra since 2014 and co-presenter of the BBC One show Sounds Like Friday Night since October 2017.
In June 2001, at the age of thirteen, Amplify Dot performed a freestyle at a Missy Elliott concert at the Brixton Academy after Elliott asked if anyone in the audience could rap. She describes this as a defining moment that led her to pursue a career as a professional artist.
Amplify Dot gradually built a reputation in the UK grime and hip hop scenes, featuring on the grime track "Game Over Female Takeover" (2010), and self-releasing the mixtape Born Ready (2011) and the EP Short Back and Sides (2012), which entered the iTunes Hip Hop Chart. She also launched her own clothing label, Quiff Head, in conjunction with London street-wear brand House of Hoxshore.
In June 2012, Amplify Dot signed a recording contract with Virgin Records and a publishing contract with Sony ATV, with Music Week reporting that she was the first female rapper in the UK to secure a major-label deal in over a decade. Soon after signing to Virgin, she released the Spare Parts mixtape, which she said contained tracks that were not going to make the cut for her debut album but that she was still keen for people to hear. This was followed in 2013 by the Spare Parts II mixtape hosted by UK radio personality Charlie Sloth. In December 2013 she presented her own radio show as part of the Xtra Talent series on BBC Radio 1Xtra and was offered a regular presenting slot in 2014. She replaced Twin B and Yasmin Evans as host of the weekday breakfast show in July 2016.
Amplify Dot has collaborated with artists and producers including Busta Rhymes, Emeli Sandé, Zane Lowe, Krunchie, Show N Prove, Chris Loco, Fraser T. Smith, Midi Mafia, Beatfreakz, Kano, Gyptian, and Ms Dynamite. She has also performed with Lioness and Lady Leshurr as part of the all-female crew 367, including on a remix of the Ms Dynamite single "Neva Soft" (2011).
- Born Ready (2011) Mixtape
- Short Back and Sides (2012) EP
- Spare Parts (2012) Mixtape
- Spare Parts II (2013) Mixtape
- "Get Down" (2012)
- "Kurt Cobain" (2013)
- "I'm Good" feat. Busta Rhymes (2013)
- "Amplify Dot signs to EMI in first UK female rapper major deal in a decade - News - Music Week". www.musicweek.com.
- On the talent contest that formed part of Elliot's Brixton Academy show, see Maddy Costa, "The Missy Elliott love-in," The Guardian, 2 June 2001. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "New Music Videos, Reality TV Shows, Celebrity News, Pop Culture - MTV". MTV.
- "Amplify Dot (A.Dot) - Born Ready - HOODTAPES.CO.UK". 4 July 2011.
- "Quiff Head".
- "Amplify Dot - Spare Parts - HOODTAPES.CO.UK". 4 December 2012.
- "Interview: Get Down with… Amplify Dot - MOBO Awards". 20 September 2013.
- "Amplify Dot: Spare Parts II - Hosted By Charlie Sloth". amplifydot.co.uk.
- "The 1Xtra Breakfast Show with A.Dot". BBC.
- "Twin B and Yasmin leave 1Xtra Breakfast with A.Dot replacing them - BBC Newsbeat". BBC. 27 April 2016.
- "Ms Dynamite Feat. Amplify Dot, Lady Leshurr and Lioness – Neva Soft (Remix)," Archived February 25, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. SME. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Sounds Like Friday Night bursts onto BBC One in October". BBC. 22 September 2017.