Keep It Together (album)
|Keep It Together|
|Studio album by Guster|
|Released||June 24, 2003|
|Producer||Roger Moutenot and Ron Aniello|
Keep It Together is an album by the band Guster, released in June 2003. The album was recorded from 2001 to 2003 in Bearsville, New York, New York City, Burbank, California, and Shokan, New York. This is the first album by Guster with Brian Rosenworcel on kit drums instead of hand percussion. Keep It Together went through several working titles, including Bitch Magic, Olympia Dukakis and Come Downstairs & Say Hello.
According to the album's liner notes, Joe Pisapia contributed guest vocals on "Jesus on the Radio" and Ben Kweller did the same on "I Hope Tomorrow Is Like Today." Pisapia officially joined the band in 2003.
The track Red Oyster Cult refers to the name of the American rock band Blue Öyster Cult.
A UK re-release included two bonus tracks, "Say That To My Face" and "Starless Heaven".
The record sold 267,000 copies by late 2005, according to Nielsen Soundscan.
All music composed by Guster, except where noted.
|3.||"Amsterdam"||Guster, Tony Goddess, Ron Aniello||Brian Rosenworcel||3:37|
|7.||"Jesus on the Radio"||Ryan Miller, Joe Pisapia||Miller, Joe Pisapia||2:17|
|8.||"Keep It Together"||Guster, Aniello||Rosenworcel||3:43|
|9.||"Come Downstairs and Say Hello"||Miller||5:16|
|10.||"Red Oyster Cult"||Rosenworcel||3:27|
|11.||"Long Way Down"||Miller||4:34|
|12.||"I Hope Tomorrow Is Like Today"||Guster, Ben Kweller||Miller, Ben Kweller||3:22|
|14.||"Two at a Time" (hidden track)||Miller||4:57|
When the band plays "Jesus on the Radio" live, they often play it "unplugged", without any instruments or microphones plugged in.
- Ryan Miller - vocals, bass guitar, guitar, keyboards, mellotron
- Adam Gardner - vocals, guitar, banjo, piano
- Brian Rosenworcel - drums, percussion, bongos, keyboards, guitar, backing vocals
- Ron Aniello - guitar, Mellotron, banjo
- David Henry - cello
- Jim Hoke - brass, woodwind
- Ben Kweller - guitar, piano, vocals
- Jacob Lawson - violin
- Randy Leago - brass, woodwind
- Brandon Mason - trumpet
- Roger Moutenot - Jew's harp
- Joe Pisapia - banjo, vocals
- Neil Rosengarden - flugelhorn
"Backyard" guest musicians
Every guest musician on Keep It Together was forced to record a take on the song "Backyard". The rule was they could only record one take, and they must have no knowledge of the song before they began recording.
- Ron Aniello - additional instruments
- David Henry - upright bass
- Jim Hoke - harmonica
- Ben Kweller - "frightening double-necked string instrument"
- Jacob Lawson - additional instruments
- Randy Leago - additional instruments
- Brandon Mason - additional instruments
- Roger Moutenot - Moog synthesizer
- Joe Pisapia - banjo
- Neil Rosengarden - additional instruments
- Josh Rouse - backing vocals
Album - Billboard (North America)
|2003||The Billboard Top 200||35|
Singles - Billboard (North America)
|2003||"Careful"||Adult Top 40||30|
|"Amsterdam"||Adult Top 40||20|
- "Guster Keep It Together". Pollstar. February 10, 2003.
- "Joe Pisapia Leaves Guster To Tour with k.d. lang". Relix. September 3, 2010.
- "Guster Satisfies Ambitions On New Album". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- Review by fan on guster.net
- "Backyard" details at vividgreen.net