Amsterdam Sloterdijk railway station
|Operated by||Nederlandse Spoorwegen|
Den Helder–Amsterdam railway
Metro line 50
|Connections|| GVB Amsterdam Metro: 50
GVB Amsterdam Tram: 12
Connexxion: 82, 395
GVB: 15, 36, 48, 56, 61, 69, 231, 269, 348, 369
MeinFernbus Flixbus: 067, 075
|Opened||29 May 1983|
Amsterdam Sloterdijk is a major railway junction situated to the west of Amsterdam Centraal station. It is at a rail-rail crossing with an additional chord (Hemboog). It is on the railway line from Amsterdam Centraal to Haarlem and the last station before the junction where the line Amsterdam Centraal-Zaandam diverges from it, and on the crossing west branch of the Amsterdam-Schiphol railway line between Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal. The Hemboog chord connects the crossing lines, providing a direct connection between Schiphol and Zaandam. There are platforms at both crossing lines and at the Hemboog; for the latter there is a separate entrance on another side of the station square.
There is also a metro line.
The original Amsterdam Sloterdijk station was opened in 1956, this was located just south of the current station. This station was for when Sloterdijk was just a small village. From here you could travel to Haarlem. In 1983 when the current station was opened, although it was only the line to Zaandam at the time, the station was called Sloterdijk Zuid and Sloterdijk Noord. This station closed in 1985 and the line was re-routed via Sloterdijk Noord. In 1986 the Amsterdam - Schiphol line was opened. The Hemboog was opened in 2003; its platforms were opened on 14 December 2008.
2012 rail accident
On 21 April 2012, two passenger trains collided head-on between Amsterdam Centraal railway station and Sloterdijk railway station, injuring 117 people. The cause of the accident is under investigation.
At the ground level is the railway from Amsterdam to Haarlem and Zaandam, with branches to Alkmaar, Purmerend, and Hoorn; at elevated level is the railway from Amsterdam to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (and thence to Leiden and The Hague). The booking hall is at an intermediate raised level (as too, is the station square). On the south-west side of the crossing and beside the station square runs the Hemboog chord, connecting Schiphol and Amsterdam Lelylaan to Zaandam. The platforms on the Hemboog are numbered platforms 9 and 10.
The following services currently serve Amsterdam Sloterdijk:
- 2x per hour intercity service (Schagen -) Alkmaar - Amsterdam - Utrecht - Eindhoven - Maastricht
- 2x per hour intercity service Lelystad - Almere - Amsterdam - Schiphol - The Hague - Rotterdam - Dordrecht - Roosendaal - Vlissingen
- 2x per hour intercity service Den Helder - Alkmaar - Amsterdam - Utrecht - Nijmegen
- 2x per hour intercity service Enkhuizen - Hoorn - Amsterdam - Hilversum - Amersfoort
- 2x per hour intercity service Enkhuizen - Hoorn - Amsterdam (peak hours)
- 2x per hour intercity service Amsterdam - Haarlem - Leiden - The Hague
- 2x per hour intercity service Amsterdam - Haarlem - Leiden - The Hague - Rotterdam
- 2x per hour intercity service Amsterdam - Schiphol - The Hague
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Uitgeest - Amsterdam - Woerden - Rotterdam
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Uitgeest - Zaandam - Amsterdam
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Zandvoort - Haarlem - Amsterdam
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Uitgeest - Haarlem - Amsterdam
- 2x per hour local service (sprinter) Hoofddorp - Amsterdam - Hilversum - Amersfoort Vathorst
Amsterdam Sloterdijk is also a station on the Amsterdam Metro line 50. This metro service was opened in 1997. It runs next to the railway line for Sloterdijk to Holendrecht.
The tram service departs from the ground floor bus station which opened in December 2010, known as the Carrascoplein.
GVB operates 1 tram service to Sloterdijk.
- 12 Station Sloterdijk - Bos en Lommer - Museumplein - De Pijp - Station Amstel
Bus services operated by GVB and Connexxion depart from the ground floor bus station which opened in December 2010, known as the Carrascoplein.
These services are operated by GVB.
- 15 Station Sloterdijk - Bos en Lommer - Mercatorplein - Surinameplein - Haarlmemmermeer - Station Zuid
- 36 Station Sloterdijk - Westhaven - Molenwijk - Oostzanerwerf - Buiksloot - Buikslotermeerplein
- 48 Station Sloterdijk - Spaarndammerbuurt - Wester Dok - Centraal Station
- 61 Station Sloterdijk - Geuzeveld - Osdorp - Sloten
- 64 Station Sloterdijk - Bos en Lommer - Slotermeer - Johan Huizingalaan - De Kinderenstraat - Station Lelylaan
- 69 Station Sloterdijk - Slotermeer - Osdorp - Sloten - Schiphol
- 231 Station Sloterdijk - Westpoort (peak hours only, Monday to Friday)
These services are operated by Connexxion.
- 82 Amsterdam Marnixstraat - Bos en Lommer - Station Sloterdijk - Spaarnwoude - Velsen Zuid - IJmuiden
- 395 Station Sloterdijk - Zaandam, East - Zaans Hospital - Zaandam Kogerveld Station - Wormerland P&R
- Amsterdam - Lille - Paris
- Amsterdam - Brussels (from 28 April 2014)
- Amsterdam - Brussels - London (from 28 April 2014)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2011)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amsterdam Sloterdijk.|