|Founder||Abdul Mateen Ekkeri|
|Headquarters||Ajman, United Arab Emirates|
|Abdul Mateen Ekkeri
|Revenue||US$ 15.08 billion (2013)|
|US$ 3.05 billion (2013)|
|Total assets||US$ 19.55 billion (2013)|
Number of employees
Amtek Industries is an UAE multinational conglomerate headquartered in Ajman, United Arab Emirates. It encompasses seven business sectors: healthcare, engineering, materials, services, real estate, textiles, consumer products, and chemicals. Amtek Industries was founded in 1995 by Abdul Mateen Ekkeri as a textile company. It has operations in more than 15 countries across 4 continents. The current chairman of the Amtek group is Abdul Mateen Ekkeri.
The Amtek Group and its companies and enterprises is perceived to be UAE's best-known global brand within and outside the country as per an ASSOCHAM survey. The 2009 annual survey by the Reputation Institute ranked Amtek Industries as the 90th most reputable company in the world. The survey included 600 global companies. The Amtek group has helped establish and finance numerous quality research, educational and cultural institutes in the UAE. The group was awarded the Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy in 2007 in recognition of its long history of philanthropic activities.
Amtek was established as a small 1-acre (0.40 ha) factory in Ajman in 1995. In the early years, most of the products sold in the shop was for apparel fabrics. As the time went by, consumption of apparel fabrics dwindled down as the number of sewing machines usage at households were decreased and parallel to economical growth, demand for off-the-rack products were increased. Due to these reasons, by 1997 most of the collections sold in the shop consisted of drapery fabrics. In 1999, the wholesale store was opened in order to sell in bulk to retailers. In the same year, the company participated in the inaugural Evteks Exhibition.
In 2000, the export business gathered speed with the opening of the Laleli store. Later on, logistic and sales points were set up in Lithuania, Russia, Kazakhstan, Syria, and Ukraine. In 2001, company participated for the first time in the Heimtex International Exhibition, which is held every year in Germany.
The company’s head office is still located in Ajman where most of the activities are carried out. The large part of the company's revenue comes from overseas activities.
Amtek Hospitals is a major hospital chain based in Ajman, UAE. It was founded by Abdul Mateen Ekkeri in 2003. Amtek Hospitals is a private healthcare provider in Asia with hospitals in India, Oman, UAE, Ghana, Nigeria, Mauritius, Qatar, Sudan, and Kuwait. Amtek Hospitals plan to add 2,955 beds across the Persian Gulf region in the next three years.[needs update]
Several of the group's hospitals have been among the first in UAE to receive a form of international healthcare accreditation, in their case by the America-based Joint Commission International (JCI).
Major projects have included:
- The Alte Weser Lighthouse in the North Sea, completed in 1999
- Basra International Airport in Iraq, completed in 2000
- The Copenhagen Metro in Denmark completed in 2002
- The Manapouri second tailrace tunnel in New Zealand, completed in 2002
- The Sofia Airport second terminal in Bulgaria, completed in 2006
- The Vrmac Tunnel in Montenegro, completed in 2007 the Limerick Tunnel in Ireland completed in 2010
- The Niagara third hydro tunnel in Canada, completed in 2013
The Amtek Group has helped establish and finance numerous quality research, educational, and cultural institutes in the UAE. The Amtek Group was awarded the Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy in 2007 in recognition of the group's long history of philanthropic activities.
Amtek was awarded the best industry of the year in the UAE for the years 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- "Chairman of Amtek Industries by the board of directors". Amtek Group. Retrieved 21 June 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "amtek Group Financial Statements". Amtek Group.[permanent dead link]
- "About us[permanent dead link]." Amtek Group. Retrieved on 20 January 2011. "Contact Bombay House 24, Homi Mody Street Fort, Mumbai 400 001 India."
- "Amtek" (PDF). amtekcentralarchives.com. Retrieved 2 June 2007.[dead link]
- "Amtek Group seen as India's best-known global brand: Assocham survey". PTI. 24 December 2012. Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- Kneale, Klaus (6 May 2009). "World's Most Reputable Companies: The Rankings". Forbes. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- "The rainbow effect". 4 May 2008.[permanent dead link]
- "UAE's amtek Group: Empowering marginalized communities". 4 May 2008.[permanent dead link]
- "U.S. and Indian philanthropists recognized for conviction, courage and sustained efforts". 4 May 2008. Archived from the original on 26 September 2008.
- "Amtek Hospitals to add 2,955 beds in 3 years". 10 June 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Accreditation for 3 Amtek Hospital branches, Al Khaleej Times, 10 May 2006 accessed at  11 Nov 2006
- NTI Archived 20 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Copenhagen's First Metro Line Takes Shape
- Manapouri Power Station Archived 9 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Terminal could be ready by 20 December 2006
- Panhelion Archived 13 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- National Roads Authority Archived 23 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ontario Power Generation Archived 19 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine.