November 2, 1973 |
New York City
|Institution||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Field||Public finance, health economics|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Amy Nadya Finkelstein (born November 2, 1973) is a Professor of Economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the co-Director and research associate of the Public Economics Program at the National Bureau of Economic Research, and the co-Scientific Director of J-PAL North America. She was awarded the 2012 John Bates Clark Medal. for her contributions to economics. She is a co-editor of the Journal of Public Economics.
Finkelstein's primary expertise is in public finance and health economics, and she conducts research into market failures and government intervention in insurance markets, and the impact of public policy on health care. Finkelstein is one of two Principal Investigators of the Oregon Health Insurance Experiment, a randomized evaluation of the impact of expanding Medicaid to low-income adults.
She studied Government at Harvard University, where she received an AB summa cum laude in 1995. She was a Marshall Scholar at Oxford University, where she received an M.Phil in Economics in 1997. She received her PhD in Economics from MIT in 2001. She was a Junior Fellow at the Harvard Society of Fellows, after which she joined the MIT faculty in 2005. In 2008 she was awarded the Elaine Bennett Research Prize by the Committee on the Status of Women in the Economics Profession (CSWEP), for her contributions to the economics profession.In 2012 she was awarded the John Bates Clark Medal from the American Economic Association. The award cited her research as “a model of how theory and empirics can be combined in creative ways.”
- "Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) North America". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "MIT economics professor awarded Bates Clark medal". Boston Globe. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "MIT Economist of Health Care Wins John Bates Clark Medal" Chronicle of Higher Education April 27, 2012 
- "Amy Finkelstein – Short Biography". Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "First Study of Its Kind Shows Benefits of Providing Medical Insurance to Poor". New York Times. 7 July 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER): Oregon Health Insurance Experiment". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "CSWEP Awards and Prizes". Committee on the Status of Women in the Economics Profession. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- MIT Department of Economics: Amy Finkelstein
- NBER: Amy Finkelstein
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL): Amy Finkelstein