|Amy Thomas Howorth|
|Mayor of Manhattan Beach|
November 21, 2017 – September 4, 2018
|Succeeded by||Steve Napolitano|
November 14, 1964|
Coshocton, Ohio, U.S.
|Residence||Manhattan Beach, California, U.S|
|Alma mater||Ohio University (B.A.)|
Amy Thomas Howorth (born November 14, 1964) is a politician from Manhattan Beach, California. She is a Democrat. Howorth currently serves as Mayor of Manhattan Beach. She is a former Manhattan Beach City Council member and former Manhattan Beach School Board member. Prior to holding public office, she was the first photo editor at Wired.
Early life and education
Howorth was born in Coshocton, Ohio in 1964. She attended Ohio University (1982-1986) where she earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Telecommunication, with minors in French and Political Science. Her activities and societies in college included Chi Omega and WOUB-TV.
After college graduation she began a career as a professional photo editor. She began working at Stock Boston (1986-1988) as a photo researcher. In 1988 Howorth, became a photo librarian and editor for WGBH-TV Public Television in Boston, Massachusetts. She then became the original photo editor for Wired in 1993. She later worked as a freelancer.
Community and public service
Before joining the Manhattan Beach School Board in 2003, Howorth was School Site Council President, PTSA Vice President, and Cultural Arts Chair, and Legislative Representative for her sons' school, Robinson Elementary. In 2003, she was elected to the Manhattan Beach School Board where she served 8 years and was President of the board in 2005 and 2008. In 2011, she was elected to the Manhattan Beach City Council and served a one-year term as Manhattan Beach Mayor.
In February 2014, Howorth announced her candidacy for the California's 26th Senate District seat. The seat was held by Senator Ted Lieu, who ran for Congress to replace Congressman Henry Waxman. Howorth lost in the primary election.
She was re-elected to the Manhattan Beach City Council in March 2015. In July of 2016, she served on the Rules Committee of the Democratic National Convention as a Hillary Clinton appointee. She was appointed by Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn to the Commission on Children and Families. Howorth is also a Director of the Clean Power Alliance of Southern California.
Boards and committees
- 2006-2008 City of Manhattan Beach Facilities Strategic Master Plan Steering Committee
- 2008-2010 City of Manhattan Beach Inaugural Environmental Task Force
Howorth and her husband, Mark lived in Berkeley, California for several years. They later relocated to Manhattan Beach in 1997. She has two sons Ari and Jack. In May 2018, Howorth made a surprise guest appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! after attending a meeting in Hollywood.
- "City Council | City of Manhattan Beach". www.citymb.info. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- Summers, Brian (2014-05-19). "Manhattan Beach Mayor Amy Howorth proves formidable candidate for Ted Lieu's California Senate seat". Daily Breeze. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- Kang, Esther (2014-01-16). "Amy Howorth -- wife, mother and Manhattan Beach's new mayor -- leans in with cause, candor". Easy Reader News. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Manhattan Beach Unified School District:". Mbusd.deltreeintegration.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-09. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Manhattan Beach's Howorth will lead city and campaign for state senate - The Beach Reporter: Manhattan Beach". Tbrnews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Amy Howorth |". Mb-myc.com. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Catch Manhattan Beach Mayor Amy Howorth on Jimmy Kimmel Live!". The Beach Reporter. 2018-05-10. Retrieved 2018-09-05.