|Full name||Amy Lee Oliver|
10 July 1987 |
Mexborough, South Yorkshire, England
|Country|| United Kingdom
|Club||Dearne Valley Archery Club|
|Coached by||Lloyd Brown|
|Achievements and titles|
|World finals||2011 Turin – Individual 9th|
Amy Lee Oliver (born 10 July 1987) is an athlete from Great Britain who competes in archery. She is a former European champion, and competed at the 2010 Commonwealth Games for England where she won a silver medal in the team event. She is due to compete at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
She joined an archery club in 2004, and in 2007 competed in her first international competition. She was part of the silver medal winning team at the 2007 European Field Championships, and qualified for the individual finals. She wore her silver medal during the final to encourage herself, and went on to take the gold medal. It was the first European gold achieved by a female British archer for more than 20 years.
Oliver did not place in the top three at the 2010 World Field Championships in Hungary. She competed at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi for the English team. Acting as the final archer for the British women's team, she was unable to keep up her earlier scoring and the Indian team won the Gold medal by 1 point over the British. Afterwards she criticised the noise of the crowd during the closing moments, saying "I was nervous, the crowd was not good. They were pretty loud and it was not good sportsmanship for archery", and FITA (the governing body for archery worldwide) released a statement saying that they expect "the public to be quiet when the archers draw their bow up until the arrow has been shot".
She is a member of Dearne Valley Archery Club, and is managed by Lloyd Brown. She has been chosen alongside Naomi Folkard and Alison Williamson for the British team at the 2012 Summer Olympics. Oliver's Olympic debut resulted in a first round win against the world number one Deepika Kumari of India.
- "England's Amy Lee Oliver bows during the women's recurve team". Getty Images. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2012. (subscription required (. ))
- "Amy Oliver". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Amy Oliver". Archery GB. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Duo shoot silvers in Hungary". Coventry Evening Telegraph. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2012. (subscription required (. ))
- "'Rowdy' crowd blamed for archery loss". The Independent. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2012. (subscription required (. ))
- "Amy Aims at Noisy Fans". Daily Mirror. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 7 June 2012. (subscription required (. ))
- "Amy Oliver". Team GB. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "2012 Athletes". Team GB. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Result: Amy Oliver beats Deepika Kumari in archery first round". Retrieved 1 August 2012.