||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Chinese name||葉子楣 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||叶子楣 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Yè Zǐmèi (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||Jip6 Zi2 Mei4 (Cantonese)|
10 July 1965 |
Amy Yip (born 10 July 1965 in Hong Kong) is an actress who was one of the leading sex symbols of Hong Kong cinema in the late 1980s and early 1990s. She was known for her slender figure and her disproportionately large breasts. She has family roots in Taishan, Guangdong.
Amy Yip is best known for her roles in Hong Kong Category III films such as Sex and Zen and Erotic Ghost Story. The movie Sex and Zen is also the highest grossing Category III movie in the history of Hong Kong box office.
Yip first came to notice by appearing in various television series' in the mid-1980s. Erotic Ghost Story in 1987 proved to be a breakthrough role and she became one of the most popular actresses in Hong Kong and many other parts of Asia in the late 1980s and early 1990s. She had large, full breasts which made her much in demand for nude scenes. However she refused to appear fully naked on film. Her efforts to avoid fully exposing her breasts on screen through clever use of camera angles, whereby the side of her breast is seen, became known as the "Yip tease". However, in Erotic Ghost Story for example, she did show her buttocks in one scene.
She retired from acting in 1992. She expressed regret that, given the nature of her films, there were not many memorable roles during her acting career. The only exceptional movie for her was the 1991 movie Queen of the Underworld which she portrayed Sister Har, a woman who climbed from the lowest depths of society to become the celebrated queen of the night life in the 1960s and 1970s of Hong Kong.
Numerous rumours have surfaced over the years about Yip married to her long term orthopedics surgeon-boyfriend Lim Kiam Hwee, and being pregnant. In an early 2006 interview with an East Weekly reporter who spotted Yip walking her dog at Repulse Bay, however, she said she was in a steady relationship with her boyfriend of more than 15 years and had no intention of getting married or having children. She added she had food and beverage businesses set up in Hong Kong and Macau that kept her busy and occupied.
When asked if she would consider a comeback in show business, Yip flatly rejected the idea, saying that she was very happy with her carefree lifestyle and had no desire of going back to filming long hours and traveling intensively for movies and record publicity. She also said that she is content not showing her breasts to make a living.
- Di xia cai jue aka Underground Judgement 1994
- Bu wen sao aka Stooges in Hong Kong 1992
- The Prince of Temple Street 1992
- Te qu ai nu aka China Dolls 1992
- Sex and Zen 1991
- To Be Number One 1991
- Jiang shi fu xing zi aka Vampire Kids 1991
- Lao biao fa qian han aka Easy Money 1991
- Liao zhai yan tan xu ji zhi wu tong shen aka Erotic Ghost Story 2 1991
- Long mao shao xu aka Lethal Contact 1991
- Nu ji xie ren aka Robotrix 1991
- Great Pretenders 1991
- Magnificent Scoundrels 1991
- Ye sheng huo nu wang - Ba jie chuan qi aka Queen of the Underworld 1991
- Zhuo niu zi ku de zhong kui aka The Blue Jean Monster 1991
- Hua gui zhu zheng ge li aka My Neighbor's Phantoms 1990
- Huang jia du chuan aka Raid on Royal Casino Marine 1990
- She Shoots Straight 1990
- Jian yu bu she fang aka Haunted Jail House 1990
- Jiu ming xuan yan aka Doctor's Heart 1990
- Legend of the Dragon 1990 (cameo)
- Look Out, Officer! 1990
- Tian shi zhuo jian aka Ghostly Vixen 1990
- Xiao xin jian die aka To Spy With Love 1990
- Hoi sam gui miu ba aka Mr Sunshine 1989
- Gui gou ren aka Ghost Fever 1989
- Qiji aka Black Dragon 1989
- Shen yong fei hu ba wang hua aka The Inspector Wears Skirts 2 1989
- Erotic Ghost Story 1987
- Feng huo shuo ming aka Club Le TV series 1986
- The Romance of the White Hair Maiden TV series 1986
- Jiu gao man ng TV series