This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Established||7 May 1931|
and C.E. Terry Trench
|Founded at||Dublin, Ireland|
|Focus||To encourage youths to appreciate the Irish countryside through hostelling.|
|13 counties across the Republic of Ireland|
|Darragh Miller (Chairperson)
Maria Shanahan (Vice-Chairperson)
Marie McDonnell (Company Secretary)
Peter SilvesterDavid Owens (CEO)
An Óige was founded on 7 May 1931 by an organising committee, which included Thekla Beere, Marion Tweedy, and C.E. Terry Trench, Hon. National Secretary, as a membership based organisation and is a member of the Hostelling International. The first youth hostel was opened in 1931 in Lough Dan (Irish: Loch Dean), near Roundwood (Irish: An Tochar), in County Wicklow (Irish: Cill Mhantáin).
An Óige, the Irish Youth Hostel Association has as its charitable aims the following:
- To help all, but especially young people, to a love and appreciation of the countryside, particularly by providing simple hostel accommodation for them whilst on their travels.
- To foster an appreciation of the Irish cultural and historical heritage
- To co-operate with other organisations for the following purposes:
- (a) to preserve the beauties of the countryside.
- (b) to secure and mark rights of way and other footpaths.
- To co-operate with kindred associations in other countries.
- To take any other steps calculated to further such objectives.
- "Clár na nÓg E-zine - An Óige is 75 years old". youth.ie. National Youth Council of Ireland. Archived from the original on 19 November 2007. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Trench, Terry (1981). Fifty Years Young : The Story of An Óige. Dublin, Co. Dublin: An Óige, Irish Youth Hostel Association. ISBN 9780950029290. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "An Óige Hostel Guide". An Óige. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Over 80 Years Young And Counting…". An Óige. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
|This article about an organisation in Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|