An Act of God
|An Act of God|
|Written by||David Javerbaum|
|Date premiered||May 28, 2015|
|Place premiered||Studio 54|
New York City
An Act of God is a play by David Javerbaum. The stage play is adapted from Javerbaum's The Last Testament: A Memoir By God.
The play began previews for its initial run on Broadway at Studio 54 on May 7, 2015, and opened officially on May 28 for a limited run through August 2. Jim Parsons starred as God in the production directed by Joe Mantello and produced by Jeffrey Finn.The play featured Tim Kazurinsky as archangel Gabriel, and Christopher Fitzgerald as archangel Michael.
The show returned to Broadway at the Booth Theatre for a limited engagement starring Sean Hayes. The production began previews on May 28, 2016, with an opening on June 6. The run closed on September 4, 2016 after 90 performances.  Hayes previously performed in the play at the SHN Golden Gate Theatre, San Francisco and the CTG/ Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles (in February 2016).
An adaptation of the show to Spanish is currently playing at Julio Prieto Theatre in Mexico City starring Horacio Villalobos. The show was adapted by Villalobos himself along with Pilar Boliver, the director of the show. The production began previews on October 6, 2017, opening on October 20. David Javerbaum assisted to the opening show.
Charles Isherwood, reviewing the Sean Hayes production in The New York Times, called the play "a gut-busting-funny riff on the never-ending folly of mankind’s attempts to fathom God’s wishes through the words of the Bible and use them to their own ends."
The TheaterMania reviewer of the Hayes production called the play "still just mildly amusing...The major difference in this presentation comes in the form of Hayes, who brings an extra touch of frivolity to a play that really calls for it."
Awards and nominations
Original Broadway production
|2016||Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Sound Design of a Play||Fitz Patton||Nominated|
- Isherwood, Charles. "Review: ‘An Act of God’ Is Back, With Sean Hayes" The New York Times, June 6, 2016
- Rogers, Katie. "Former Daily Show writer turns God book into Broadway show" The Guardian, April 24, 2014
- Healy, Patrick. " 'Act of God' on Broadway" New York Times, January 2015
- McPhee, Ryan. "Jim Parsons Will Play the Almighty in an Act of God on Broadway" broadway.com, January 29, 2015
- Rooney, David. " An Act God to Strike Broadway" Hollywood Reporter, April 24, 2014
- Haun, Harry. "Playbill on Opening Night. Broadway is Blessed with 'An Act of God' " playbill.com, May 29, 2015
- Verini, Bob. "L.A. Theater Review: 'An Act of God' with Sean Hayes". Variety. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Viagas, Robert (September 4, 2016). "Three Broadway Shows Ring Down the Final Curtain Today". Playbill.
- Viagas, Robert. "The Verdict: See What Critics Thought of Sean Hayes in 'An Act of God' on Broadway" Playbill, June 6, 2016
- "Un Acto de Dios - Cartelera de Teatro CDMX". Cartelera de Teatro CDMX (in Spanish). 2017-09-12. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- Fórmula, Grupo. "Pre-estreno "Un acto de Dios" este 20 de octubre; listo para críticas: Villalobos. Con Maxine Woodside". www.radioformula.com.mx. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- "Asiste David Javerbaum al estreno de Un acto de Dios" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- "An Act of God - Darlinghurst Theatre Co". Darlinghurst Theatre. Darlinghurst Theatre Company. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- Stewart, Zachary. "Reviews. 'An Act of God'" theatermania.com, June 6, 2016