An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars
|An American Girl: |
McKenna Shoots for the Stars
|Directed by||Vince Marcello|
|Screenplay by||Jessica O'Toole|
by Mary Casanova
|Music by||Timothy Michael Wynn|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures Home Entertainment|
An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars (released in PAL territories as American Girl: Shooting for the Stars) is a 2012 American family-drama film starring actress Jade Pettyjohn, Ysa Penarejo, Cathy Rigby, Nia Vardalos, and Ian Ziering. This film is based on the McKenna books in the American Girl series written by Mary Casanova. The film is also the second in the series to feature a Girl of the Year character, the first being Chrissa Stands Strong, and is the sixth film in the American Girl series overall.
The film revolves around the life of McKenna Brooks, as she struggles to balance her time at school and in her career as a gymnast. The screenplay was written by Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin. The movie was directed by Vince Marcello.
A free screening of the film was held at the Tysons Corner Marriott on July 21, 2012, as part of a promotional package by American Girl and Marriott.
In the Shooting Star gym, McKenna Brooks is practicing her back handspring on the beam. Coach Isabelle Manning tells McKenna that the move is too advanced for her and she should just be stretching. McKenna's dream is to go to the Olympics; however, her coach tells her that she needs to focus on the smaller things for now. As McKenna's feeling depressed, her best friend Toulane Thomas comes over and tells McKenna she was great. She then gets on about how the two of them will get into the 2016 Summer Olympics. Toulane explains that she'll be on the podium with her gold, and McKenna next to her with her silver. McKenna tells her that she'll get a gold instead. The girls get back to gymnastics until McKenna's grandma comes into the gym with McKenna's younger twin sisters, Maisey and Mara. The four of them leave the gym.
At home, McKenna, Maisey, Mara, Mr. and Mrs. Brooks are at the table and talking about Mrs. Brooks' business, and how her guitarist didn't show up on his first day. Mr. Brooks tries to convince Mrs. Brooks to let his old rock band play at her coffee shop. Mr. Brooks starts singing one of his songs. Then, Mrs. Brooks tells Maisey and Mara to go to their room, while she and Mr. Brooks talk to McKenna. When the twins leave, McKenna thinks it's about her accidentally feeding the class pet. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks explain that Mr. Wu e-mailed them and said that McKenna's grades are slipping. Mr. Wu is concerned about McKenna's grades and he recommended that she get a reading tutor from the middle school. McKenna's parents believe that she's spending too much time on gymnastics and not enough time on school. McKenna refuses and promises to bring her grades up as there's going to be a science quiz the next day. She starts to read the science book, but doesn't understand it and quits.
The next day at school McKenna is desperate to improve her grades and ends up cheating off of Sierra's paper. McKenna gets caught by Mr. Wu. Mr. Wu gives McKenna a zero on her test and tells Mr. and Mrs. Brooks. As soon as her parents find out, McKenna's grounded and they tell her that unless she gets a tutor, she'll have to quit gymnastics. In an effort to continue gymnastics McKenna agrees to get a tutor. McKenna reluctantly meets Josie Myers at the school's library. When McKenna sees Sierra, she tries to hide. Josie doesn't understand this. After Sierra leaves, Josie tries to tutor McKenna. McKenna gets angry when she finds out Josie wants her to read "baby books". She storms out of the library and asks Mr. Wu to find her a new tutor. She tries three different tutors who won't work for her. McKenna is soon forced to go back to Josie.
At the presentation run, the Shooting Stars gymnastics team perform for the parents. When McKenna goes up, she does everything perfectly. She comes to the very end of her practice and decides to disobey the coach by doing the back handspring. McKenna falls and breaks her ankle. When McKenna comes home, she is very angry, as her parents say that the accident will allow her to focus on school now instead of gymnastics. McKenna yells at them saying they must be happy she broke her ankle as she would have nothing to do, but study, and hobbles into her room. She tears down most of her posters about the Olympics, and cries. The next day, McKenna comes to school, and Mr. Wu tells McKenna that he's sorry about her accident. McKenna keeps meeting with Josie, and is soon found out by Toulane. Toulane is very upset that McKenna lied to her. McKenna still goes on a camping trip with Josie. While McKenna is reading A Little Princess, she starts to understand what she is reading. Over excitement, McKenna shows Josie her and Toulane's secret victory handshake in gymnastics, unaware that Toulane had been watching. Afterwards, Josie invites McKenna to go to a horse riding place for kids with disabilities, as Josie is going to ride a horse. McKenna first agrees, but then remembers she gets her cast off the same day. Josie is very upset that McKenna can't go. Soon, McKenna realizes that she should go and does. There, she is surprised to see Toulane. Toulane says that McKenna showed Josie their secret handshake on their camping trip. Toulane and McKenna have a talk and make up with McKenna's apology. In the end, McKenna's grades improve. Toulane has a talk with her mother, and is allowed to do rhythmic gymnastics. Sierra takes Toulane's place on the team with McKenna. McKenna makes the regional competitive team, and does well during her presentation at school.
- Jade Pettyjohn: McKenna Brooks, the 9-year-old protagonist of the movie who has a passion for gymnastics. (Kathryn White was Jade's gymnast double)
- Ysa Penarejo: Toulane Thomas, McKenna's best friend who even though she does gymnastics, doesn't enjoy it.
- Kally Berard: Sierra Kuchinko, the new girl in both McKenna's class and gymnastics team. She moved to Seattle from California after her parents got divorced. Her and McKenna become good friends.
- Kerris Dorsey: Josefina "Josie" Myers, McKenna's tutor and close friend who is disabled.
- Ian Ziering: Mr. Brooks, McKenna's father who is a high school principal.
- Nia Vardalos: Mrs. Brooks, McKenna's mother who owns a coffee shop.
- Talia Pura: McKenna's maternal grandmother who lives with McKenna's family.
- Will Woytowich: Bob
- Paula Rivera: Mrs. Thomas, Toulane's mother who is very strict when it comes to making the Regional Competitive Team.
- George Chiang: Mr. Wu, McKenna's 4th Grade teacher who also went to gymnastics at McKenna's place.
- Aisha Alfa: Gymnastics Competition Announcer
- Abbey Thickson: Impatient Female Tutor
- Emma Leipsic: Megan Murphy, a gymnast from Performig Arts Gymnastics
- Rosie: Snowflake the horse, Josie's assigned horse she rode at Heart's and Horses
- Cathy Rigby: Coach Isabelle Manning, McKenna's strict, but caring gymnastics coach.
- Kadence Kendall Roach: Maisey Brooks, McKenna's 5-year-old sister who also does gymnastics.
- Paiten Raine Roach: Mara Brooks, McKenna's 5-year-old sister who also does gymnastics.
Home video release
The movie was released on DVD and Blu-Ray on July 3, 2012. The film was initially only available at American Girl and Wal-Mart, but was eventually released in PAL territories as American Girl: Shooting for the Stars.
An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars was filmed in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
- "Apple - iTunes - Download An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars". Apple Inc. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "AMERICAN GIRL - SHOOTING FOR THE STARS". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Jade Pettyjohn: A Real Life American Girl". About.com. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Exclusive: Ysa Penarejo Talks "McKenna Shoots for the Stars" and New Music". Clevver TV. Archived from the original on January 2, 2013. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Young gymnast conquers difficulties in 'McKenna Shoots for the Stars'". Detroit News. Retrieved August 3, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "EXCLUSIVE: Nia Vardalos Talks An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars Blu-ray - MovieWeb.com". MovieWeb. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Ian Ziering joins Nia Vardalos and Jade Pettyjohn in untitled American Girl Project - IMDb.com". IMDb. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "American Girl Fans Can See the New McKenna Movie, Stay the Night atTysons Corner Marriott - MarketWatch". MarketWatch. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Stockly, Ed. "Saturday's TV Highlights: 'The Firm' on NBC - latimes.com". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "American Girl: Shooting for the Stars [DVD] ". Amazon.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.